Internet Explorer 10 has stopped working on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have tried all of the steps listed on here (resetting/clean boot/enabling cpu graphics) with no change on my Internet Explorer message "Internet Explorer has stopped working." I have also tried uninstalling the latest update (via Windows Update) Internet Explorer 10 update with no success either. "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled." Is the message I receive after the failed attempt to remove Windows Internet Explorer 10. I have been using another laptop for the past two days to access the internet and try and troubleshoot these problems but I have gotten nowhere with any of these attempts. The clean boot approach has been the last thing that I have tried but it did not work either. I would GREATLY appreciate some help from anyone that is reading.

Thank You

Derek

Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:48 AM

All replies

• message "Internet Explorer has stopped working."

Maybe some diagnosis will help.  That message means that iexplore.exe has crashed and you may get some useful clues by looking at first, the Error Signature, e.g. in either the Reliability Monitor or the Applications Event log.

Unfortunately, the crashes tend to occur in low level modules which are usually not the causes, so you either have to be lucky with the Error Signature (e.g. pointing at a third-party module) or you need to extract a Stack Back Trace for the crashing thread.  That diagnostic used to be a standard part of drwtsn32.log but is no longer available that way.  Instead you will need to either extract it from a full dump, e.g. using windbg.exe or try to approximate it using other tools which show you what is loaded with iexplore.exe, such as ProcMon, ProcExp, and ResMon.

Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled.

That could be a sign that something was interfering with the uninstall, e.g. a security program.   There may be an abundance of logs available to help refine this symptom.  Unfortunately, a problem is becoming aware of them.  One way is to use File Explorer to find anything which changed when the update was run.  (Best to do this ASAP after the update in case whatever it is is subsequently changed by something else.)  Another way is to use ProcMon, filtering on Operation Is WriteFile and then see if you can identify some likely diagnostic files that way.

The clean boot approach has been the last thing that I have tried but it did not work either. 
    That is essentially a diagnostic.  Diagnostics don't "work".  They help refine your symptom description, so what you might say is that the procedure was inconclusive but if you told us what you saw and how you judged what you saw you might elicit some new ideas from that.  For example, this would be a good way of deciding if you had significantly changed the list of modules which were loaded each time the crash occurred.  Again, drwtsn32.log would have provided that detail for us and again we have to try to find something else to replace it.  Unfortunately, it can't be ProcMon because I don't think ProcMon's driver will start in safe mode.  windbg would again be the best choice but I think you might get some clues from either ResMon or ProcExp used both before the crash and while a message about it is still up as a prompt.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:36 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for your response! Little more advanced answer than I was expecting. At this point would you have any suggestions on what I should try or look for next?
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:29 PM