Service Host: Local System High Resource Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am having problem with the processes Service Host: Local System and Service Network.

About my computer:

Thinkpad T440s

Intel Core i7 4600U, 12 GB RAM, Samgsung EVO 840 1TB SSD, Windows 8.1 64bit, Symantec Endpoint Protection

Recent Installations:

Dell S2340L Monitor: 3 days ago.

Adobe Photoshop LR 5.6: 2 days ago.

What happened:

1. No network detected when I turned on my computer

1.1 Wireless network detected after disable-enable the adapter

1.2 Unable to enable the Ethernet adapter from Adapter Settings

1.2.1 Ethernet adapter enabled after disable-enable the driver from Device Manager 

2. Significantly impacted performance

2.1 It took ~1 min to open Chrome

2.2 High CPU usage (~90%) and Memory Usage (~40%)

2.2.1 Process Top Five

Service Host: Local System ~20% CPU ~900MB RAM

Service Host: Network Service ~20% CPU ~10MB RAM

Intel Local Management Service ~10% CPU ~5MB RAM

System ~10% CPU ~0.5MB RAM

Service Host: Local System ~5% CPU ~20MB RAM

2.2.2 Service Top Three (from Resource Monitor)

EventSystem ~20% CPU

iphlpsvc ~10% CPU

LanmanWorkstation ~5% CPU

2.3 No risk detected by Symantec Endpoint Protection

3. Solved by restarting the computer

3.1 The RAM usage of Service Host: Local System increased consistently. I decided to restart the computer when it reached 2 GB. The problem did not reproduce.

More discussion on the cause of the problem is still welcomed.

• Edited by yjjart Sunday, September 7, 2014 8:39 PM
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue can be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> part applications, incompatible drivers or corrupted system files.

To narrow down the issue, please first test this issue in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesnt appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

If the issue persists in Clean boot mode, lets run Process explorer to view which program calling service host causing this issue, and we can remove it to see what’s going on:

Process Explorer v15.40

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Detail steps you can refer this blog:

How to troubleshoot high cpu in the System process

http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2009/08/07/how-to-troubleshoot-high-cpu-in-the-system-process.aspx

It could help you to determine which process detailed under svhost.exe cause the issue.

My suggestions are:

1. For the third part applications causing this issue, please remove it to check the results. Or we can install the updates for this app.
    2. If this issue happened relating to drivers, let’s try to update it to compatible with Windows 8.1.
    3. For system service or files, please install WPT (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt-en-us.aspx),  and help to collect the trace log and upload here for further research.

open a CMD prompt with admin rights and type this:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d HighCPUUsage.etl

After you captured 30s of the high CPU usage issues, go back to CMD prompt and press a key to stop the logging. Now compress the HighCPUUSage.etl to reduce the size. Upload this file to your SkyDrive or similar network drive and post a link here.

Keep post.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:51 AM