none
sql server windows nt 64 bit high memory usage on DirectAccess servers. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear Experts,

    We have DirectAccess W2012R2 on WNLB. Recently we started getting alerts related to High memory usage on both the nodes.

    Could you please guide us what action should be taken to normalize everything?

    Regards


    DevT-MCT

    Monday, April 9, 2018 2:47 PM

All replies

  • This is a known issue related to a missing table index in the Remote Access accounting database. You can find details and a link to the fix here:

    https://directaccess.richardhicks.com/2016/03/21/directaccess-inbox-accounting-database-optimization/

    Monday, April 9, 2018 8:41 PM
  • Dear Richard,

    Thanks for your help...

    The CPU is fine, we are facing issue with memory utilization.

    Regards


    DevT-MCT

    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:26 AM
  • Hi Dev,

    Did you get any solution for this issue with sql high memory usage on Directaccess servers?

    I would appreciate if you could share the details if any. 

    Thursday, March 19, 2020 3:38 AM
  • Hi.

    We are facing similar issues with memory usage. We fixed the CPU issue with instructions at the Optimize the Inbox Accounting Database. But we are still remaining high memory consumption on "SQL Server Windows NT - 64 Bit" - "Windows Internal Database".

    We have confirmed as described in the instructions that the db modification was successful.

    After the db modification we restarted the servers but the next day the memory was back up around 10GB. After this we set the Reporting for the Load Balanced Cluster  - Configure Accounting - "Configure Accounting Settings" - "Store accounting logs for last" 12 --> 3 months (Inbox accounting). This blow out the memory even more especially on the other -not operated- node to 13GB.

    After shortening the storing of the logs our db files were unchanged at the operated node, but the unoperated node blew the C:\Windows\DirectAccess\db\RaAcctDb_log.ldf -file from 4,8GB to 22,8GB.

    The high memory usage was not an issue few weeks ago after the increase of usage due the Corona virus. This memory issue was noticed at April 3rd, 2 to 3 weeks after high usage began.

    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 11:26 AM
  • Hello, 

    We are seeing the same issue. No high CPU, but very high memory every 10 days. This is only fixed by a reboot. 

    We have started seeing this issue, when the number of sessions has greatly improved due to #stayathome.

    Any idea on how to address this?

    Wednesday, April 8, 2020 6:36 AM
  • Solution:

    After the Optimize the Inbox Accounting Database we needed to shrink the DB files. We then shortened the storing of accounting logs as described in my previous post.

    WARNING! When we shortened the logs for the cluster the unoperated node blew the RaAcctDb_log.ldf eventually to 44GB. It's inital size was 4,8GB. We ran out of free disk space and this got us in a new trouble. Eventually we established that the log file increase had ended and the status was stable. At this point we had increased the virtual servers disk size and added new double memory to 32GB. After this operation the memory consumption was even greater up to 25GB. All this was somehow caused by the increased size of the DB files. We then proceeded to delete all the logs from this server with the DA GUI console. Memory usage still remained at 25GB.

    Proceed with the instructions at SHRINK DIRECT ACCESS DATABASE USING POWERSHELL by Javy De Koning.

    We believe that the key was to shorten the logs and then the DB shrink both.

    Our memory usage is now at normal level 3,4GB, CPU is at 7%.

    There is still some oddity.

    Cluster - Configure Accounting - "Store accounting logs for last 3 months" is showed from both of the servers.

    But when we check node by node the same setting:

    -the unoperated node shows correct 3 months

    -the operated node shows incorrectly 12 months

    We are wondering that perhaps the same DB log file blowout can happen to this node if we set the period to 3 months. This will be done later after the corona crisis will settle.

    We are very puzzled why Microsoft hasn't addressed this issue fully in any instructions. The "Optimize the Inbox Accounting Database" seems to be only part of the story. Surely there has been some high usage implementations over the years that have had these similar issues.

    • Proposed as answer by A. Perukangas Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:15 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 9:12 AM