none
Notes in MS Project! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to MS Project but I used Excel a lot for many projects. Everything seems to be straight forward, there is one issue that I can't find a solution or an alternative: Notes.

For the tasks of the projects I need to add most of the time additional details: text, links to other documents, etc. I can do this if I double click on the task and this is perfect, but how do we display or print the notes? I see that each time I press enter and start a new row the application displays the notes with dots... and then we cannot see it in full unless you double click on it. I need to share the reports with other people not all of them have MS Project.

A list with tasks and notes for each task would be really useful.

Is there any way to achieve this or any workaround ? It is hard to believe that in a project you need only the title of the task.

Thank you,

George

• Edited by Geo-soft Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:51 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello George,

We've had this question a few times - I think the best thread to look to for an answer is this one, which desribes how to get a view with your notes in it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/9ccd5cb4-eb36-47b8-ab6e-f3eff400243b

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Thanks Andrew, I've seen the discussion before to post the question but it doesn't help me. The notes are on multiple lines, not extremely complex or long, but on more than a line and MS Project displays only the first line of text adding 3 dots at the end as below:

This is my comment...

This functionality is the same in the reports or if you print and have the notes box ticked.

On the other side in excel, if you press ALT + ENTER you can have text in a cell box on multiple lines, adding links and whatever you want to add.

George

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Use Shift+Enter to show the multi-line text in Project.  You'll see an odd symbol in the Notes field (added to a table) but it does not truncate at the first return.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:42 PM
  • George,

This or similar questions have been asked multiple times. Several years ago I wrote a macro that exports the full Notes text from Project to Excel. I have provided it to numerous users who request it. Matter-of-fact, I got such a request just yesterday from a user in Australia.

If you are interested, contact me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Thank you Julie and John, very helpful and good news. I really appreciate your help.

While the solution posted by Julie can prove helpful the one John mentioned is ideal, therefore, John, I'll send you an email regarding the script

Regards,

George

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

I update the notes in my project plan every week.

Normally when I access the notes and create a new line (above existing lines) then only the new line will appear in project view.

As of today, for some reason, older lines are appearing so it looks like one continuous (and nonsensical) description.

e.g.

18/09/13 - RA at Doc Review (only this line would normally be displayed, would have to access notes to see older lines)

15/07/13 - RA in progress, to start 22/07/13

Now I see:

18/09/13 - RA at Doc Review15/07/13 - RA in progress, to start 22/07/13

I've searched for this topic cropping up before but can't see anything (perhaps using wrong terms!). Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Sandy

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:57 AM
  • Hi Sandy,

What version of Project and what service pack or cumulative updates do you have installed?  Are you able to insert a hard return (ENTER) to break the data up?  Is this issue appearing in reports or in the field added to a view?  Does the data appear as expected in the Task Information form?

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

I'm using 2007, don't think it has any updates. I do insert a 'hard return' each time I create a new line and normally this breaks the data up. It's appearing in the field like that, but as normal in Task Information.

Thanks

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Sandy,

Project 2007 is up to SP-3, I really suggest you install it.  So, in the field it is all run together?  Usually a hard return truncates the entry with an ellipse .....

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:54 PM
  • In the past that's what's happened, I even tried manually entering an ellipse after the first line but still it was all ran together...

Any ideas how I could fix it it looks very untidy. It might have been updated I'm not sure it's  work system but we only upgraded to Office 2007 last year!

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:00 PM
  • The ellipse is created by pressing ENTER.  Just to make sure we are talking about the exact same thing.

You have entered text into the Notes field.

You've added the Notes field to a table view (Entry table for example)

You've separated the text with an ENTER.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Yes that's exactly right, I've been doing it like this for a long time with no issues and it's always just displayed the first line. I'm at a loss how to fix it :S.

Thanks

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:25 PM
  • sd332,

Pardon me for bumping in. I was intrigued by your issue so I did a little testing with Project 2007, although I do have SP3 installed.

At first I thought the issue might be related to the total number of characters in the Notes field but after typing multiple lines to exceed common text string "trip" points (i.e. 256, 1024), the Notes field when viewed as a column in the Gantt Chart view always showed only the first line followed by ellipses. The only way I could reproduce what you show above is to remove the line feed after the first line of entry. That means the "running together" of lines will also appear that way in the Task Information/Notes tab.

I don't think this issue is related to which updates you may or may not have installed for Project 2007 but I agree with Julie that you should install SP3 if you haven't already.

That leads me to think you may have file corruption. Try saving as XML and then re-opening in Project. Note: you will lose any custom formatting using this process.

John

• Proposed as answer by sd332 Friday, October 11, 2013 7:51 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

It seems to have worked. Thank you both very much for your help.

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:51 AM
  • sd332,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback although you didn't specify what the "it" was.

John

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Hi All

I have a follow-up question.  Shift+Enter worked, in that I am now able to see everything entered in Notes in both the Gantt Chart view and hardcopies.  However, it inserts an unusual special character in between the various lines, so that all of the lines run together.  Best way I can describe the special character is that it resembles the male symbol (circle with arrow pointing to 1:00).

I would love to be able to insert and view the line breaks to make the note more legible.

I'm working in 2010 SP2.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:32 PM
  • blcnyc,

It depends on what you want to do. If all you want to do is to view the full Notes field text in the Gantt Chart view, hovering your mouse over the Notes field will initiate a pop up showing the notes text complete with line feeds and no ellipses. If you want to print the Notes field text, I suggest you either export to Excel using the macro mentioned in one of my earlier responses in this thread, or select the Print Notes option on the view tab in Page Setup.

John

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Still truncates after first line.  This is a joke of a product.  Microsoft always misses the obvious.  It is like it is written by kids.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:59 AM
  • That link does not help.  It has information on PRINTING the notes.  Yes, that is possible.  The subject is how to see the notes while looking at your project.  Hovering is a pain to see a weird version of it.  And I can not search the notes.  It only searches the visible part.  How do you see all the full notes, while looking at and working in a project?
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:03 AM
  • That does not work.  Shift Enter in the field brings up first a dialogue offering to delete all but the first line of the note.  When you say no, then it brings up another box with the note in it.  It is not reasonable to see one note at a time with all that work.  Still trying to simply see notes, like in Excel.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:06 AM
  • Hi, 

There isn't a Notes feature that works in exactly the same way as Excel.  As you have discovered, you can see the truncated set of notes if you hover over the icon, or use the Notes Icon on the ribbon to open the Notes tab of the task information dialogue box to see the Notes relating to the selected task.

You could create a report using the Reports tab to print the notes for each task, though alas this only prints the 1st 255 characters.

Please remember that Project is not Excel, each application has it's advantages and disadvantages and features do not always work in the way that you want or expect them to.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 5:57 AM
  • SoftwareDevMM,

How about seeing the notes IN Excel, would that scratch your itch?

Take a look at the following Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32126.ms-project-truncated-project-notes-when-viewingexporting.aspx

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:25 PM sentence structure
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:48 PM