Relative URL of Document Template when using Content Type Hub RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having trouble with URL of the document template when I am using Content Type Hub. Here is what I am doing.

1. Managed Metadata Service Application setup and configured with content type hub
    2. The content type hub site collection is located in Web Application 1
    3. The consumer of the content type that is being published in Content Type Hub is in Web Application 2
    4. When I create content type I specify the URL for the template to the document that is hosted on Web App 1
    5. Once this content type is published I see it in my Web Application 2
    6. When I apply this published content type to some document library in Web App 2 the URL of the template is not being absolute. It becomes relative. (Example: instead of being http://webapp1/sites/doclib/file1.doc it becomes http://webapp2/sites/doclibe/file1.doc

Does anyone know how to get around that?

vlad

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you have published  a content type from web app1 to web app2, now the document template URL for the content type have change. Do you get any error message when try to create a document in web app2?

I think it is the normal behavior. After you add the content type to the new library in web app2, the template is added there along with the template. You can open the explore view for the library. You can see that the file1.doc is listed inside the folder Form>Content Type name.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Monday, February 4, 2013 10:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by vladta Monday, February 4, 2013 9:53 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:01 AM
  • I have not changed anything. I've specified the url for the document template and published the content type. The only error that I get is that the document is not found. If the URL of Document Template is pointed to Web App1 and then this content type is consumed from Web App2 the URL is wrong. It is not displaying correct link to the document.

vlad

• Edited by vladta Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:35 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

I understand that you set the template for the publishing content type by filling the URL manually. In this way, the document will not be copied to web app2 and the document cannot be found using the relative URL. Here is a workaround: When setting the template for the content type, you need to upload a document instead of using a document in the library(If you want to use the document inside a library, you can first download a copy of that file and then upload it to the content type).

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Monday, February 4, 2013 10:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by vladta Monday, February 4, 2013 9:48 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 3:15 AM
  • This is not really a solution for our business users. We don't want to introduce additional extra step to go to the content type property and upload the document template every time that template is being changed. We would like to link to the document directly. If SharePoint allows the users to link to the document template, but only supports it within one web application and doesn't support this across multiple web application that it needs to be stated somewhere or fixed. Right now, it converts to relative URL. I have a case opened with MS support and they confirmed the problem. I hope there is a resolution for this issue.

vlad

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Hi Vlad, 

did you get an answer for your problem? I have the same problem.

Best greets

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:30 PM
  • I don't have an answer. I did open a ticket with MS and they did confirm that this is the issue. I am going through a process of Design Change request with them.

vlad

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Hi vlad,

Please keep us up to date with how you get on with that here :) I have hit this same issue myself with a InfoPath form.

Friday, March 1, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Hi Vlad,

Have you got any further information around your case?

Thanks,

João Neto

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:14 AM
  • We were going through the process of Design change. Then it became so involved just to submit this Microsoft that we decided to pull back and not spend time on it.
    We had to pull back from this type of implementation. It was very discouraging.

vlad

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hi Vlad

We have the same problem. Did you get news from Microsoft?

It's really not the first time i came to such disappointing problems with Microsoft Features on SharePoint. They start implementing something really great for Information Management, but it's somehow not till to the end correctly implemented and only works with some limitations.

Kind Regards

Raphaël

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:39 PM
  • No, Raphaël. I did not get any news regarding this. We decided not to implement content type hub after this limitation. Per their suggestion I have been working on submitting Application Design Document, but it got very involved and I did not have any time to deal with it. Our project was moving forward without this capability at that time.

vlad

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:13 PM
  • Hi Vlad,

The problem is still there from 2013, 2016 and i also found it within the online version on the default CT Hub. 

So good point for your moving forward.

Jean

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Thank you Jean. I am sadly not surprised regarding SharePoint server, but SharePoint Online?

SPO doesn't have a concept of web applications. Only site collections within one tenant. I have not played with CTH in SPO at all. I curious now.

vlad

Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:04 PM
  • Vlad

I found the same problem when we started using Content Type Hub. The only answer was to copy all your templates from http://webapp1/sites/doclib to http://webapp2/sites/doclib. This is not ideal. What we ended up using was https://templatehub.codeplex.com this works if you are Running MySites and User Profile Service, if you accept some limitations it will work without these though.

Ross

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:36 AM