Response time of Reporting Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

We have a web application. We have receive some feedback from our  client about the response time of ReportServer.

Here is the problem. Let says that for a couple of hours nobody has request any reports from ReportServer. Then someone is requesting a report. In this case the time before the ReportViewer will start to query the report will be longer than usual. It's like some kind of process is shut down and ReportServer need to start this process before processing the report. Once this report will be display the problem disapear. What i mean is that if someone is requesting another report it will be as fast as usual. But once again if for a couple of hours nobody is requesting a report, the next time someone will request a report it will take more time than it should.

So like i says it seems to me that after a period of time reportServer is closing a process. What i want to know is, is it possible to never close this process and let reportServer to be ready anytime to lauch a report ?

Thanks and sorry about my bad English ^_^
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:01 PM

Answers

• The issue you are seeing is that IIS will periodically reset worker processes which can cause slow startup time on the 1st request after the recycling.  In IIS Manager (you can get to it by right clicking on "My Computer" and going to manage) expand "Application Pools" and right click on the ReportServer application pool.  In the Recycling tab you can configure how often the worker process is reset (in minutes) and in the Performance tab you can adjust the idle timeout for the worker process.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:44 PM

All replies

• The issue you are seeing is that IIS will periodically reset worker processes which can cause slow startup time on the 1st request after the recycling.  In IIS Manager (you can get to it by right clicking on "My Computer" and going to manage) expand "Application Pools" and right click on the ReportServer application pool.  In the Recycling tab you can configure how often the worker process is reset (in minutes) and in the Performance tab you can adjust the idle timeout for the worker process.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:44 PM
  • Thanks !! This is what i was looking for !
    Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:27 PM