locked
ERROR: Fail to parse policy requests RRS feed

  • Question

  • I noticed that the ..\sms_p01\inboxes\polreq.box\bad\ folder has accumulated 20 bad policy request files over the last three days.  The ..\sms_p01\Logs\chmgr.log shows this every five minutes:

    Inbox file change detected at 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM Central Daylight Time 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    New policy file arrived 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    On primary site: process files to DB 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Client Health Manager is processing *.POL files 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Processing file POL2012720164690.POL 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Try to bind to table v_CH_PendingPolicyRequests 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Column number is 3 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Successfully bind to table v_CH_PendingPolicyRequests 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Begin to get policy requests body 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Successfully get policy requests body 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Begin to parse policy requests 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    ERROR: Invalid policy request data 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    ERROR: Fail to parse policy requests 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    ERROR: Fail to read from file D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\polreq.box\POL2012720164690.POL 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    WARN: Fail to process file POL2012720164690.POL 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Bad Policy request file was moved to D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\polreq.box\bad\POL2012720164690.POL 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Successfully executed stored procedure CH_SummarizePolicyRequests 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Work completed at 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM Central Daylight Time 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM
    Next wake up time is 7/21/2012 11:46:09 AM Central Daylight Time 7/20/2012 11:46:09 AM

    The SMS_CLIENT_HEALTH component's status shows that it is healthy.

    The only component that shows an unhealthy status is the SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER.  The DistMgr.Log shows this for package P0100008:
    Used 0 out of 3 allowed processing threads. 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Starting package processing thread, thread ID = 0x1580 (5504) 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Sleep 3600 seconds... 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    STATMSG: ID=2304 SEV=I LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER" SYS=PSCCMA2W.theocc.com SITE=P01 PID=256 TID=5504 GMTDATE=Fri Jul 20 17:37:22.883 2012 ISTR0="P0100008" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=1 AID0=400 AVAL0="P0100008" 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Retrying package P0100008 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    No action specified for the package P0100008. 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Start validating package P0100008 on server ["Display=\\PSCCMA2W.theocc.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=P01"]\\PSCCMA2W.theocc.com\... 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Failed to start DP health monitoring task for package 'P0100008'. Error code: -1 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Updating package info for package P0100008 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Only retrying local DP update for package P0100008, no need to replicate package definition to child sites or DP info to parent site. 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    StoredPkgVersion (7) of package P0100008. StoredPkgVersion in database is 7. 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    SourceVersion (7) of package P0100008. SourceVersion in database is 7. 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    STATMSG: ID=2302 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER" SYS=PSCCMA2W.theocc.com SITE=P01 PID=256 TID=5504 GMTDATE=Fri Jul 20 17:37:22.989 2012 ISTR0="All Security Updates " ISTR1="P0100008" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=1 AID0=400 AVAL0="P0100008" 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Failed to process package P0100008 after 45 retries, will retry 55 more times 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Exiting package processing thread. 7/20/2012 12:37:22 PM
    Used 0 out of 3 allowed processing threads. 7/20/2012 12:37:28 PM
    Sleep 1824 seconds... 7/20/2012 12:37:28 PM

    Site P01 is the one and only site and has all of the site system roles - including DP.  There is only one site server for this Primary Site.  SQL is local as well.  The server has been restarted to see if this would help.  It didn't.


    If I open one of these 'Bad' *.POL files, I can see that one GUID is not like the others.  It is the same for all of the other corrupt *.POL files:


    • Edited by TerryWa Friday, July 20, 2012 7:30 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:49 PM

Answers

  • Because I never found a cause for this issue, I deleted the entire Software Updates package and re-created it.  The issue went away.

    Terry Wallner

    • Marked as answer by TerryWa Friday, July 27, 2012 7:35 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 7:35 PM

All replies