none
MS Project 2013 - Adding a Customized Field from Entry Table to the Field List in the Report section RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm interested to find out how to add a Customized Field (let's call it "Late Indicator") from the Entry Table to the Field List used as source to create tables and graphs in the Report section of MS Project 2013. I have only the regular Microsoft Project Pro for Office 365 and no access to Project Web App.

Is there any way to do handle the above matter locally?

Thank you,

Katia

• Edited by Katia Dosca Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm coming to this party late,  but you can do this, pleas see the image below.  You just need to search for Text7 under the Other Fields, Custom....  If you rename the custom field the new name appears.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Katia,

I can't test it right now, but please read this article from MS. You should be able in the right panel to select the filter, including custom fields.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the input. I’m afraid my question is still open though. I cannot see in the Field List pane the local custom fields created by me. What I’m trying to figure out is how can I make them appear in the Field List pane in the first place, considering that I don’t have access to Project online.

Any further input will be very much appreciated.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Katia,

You mention you have created a Task custom field - what data type is the field (Number, Text, Flag?) Depending upon what item you are working with (chart, table, text box) will determine which custom fields are available to add.  I don't believe you can add more fields to the list.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Thanks for writing. The  local custom field created by me is a Number. I wanted to include this local custom field in a table (in the Report section), however when I go to the Field List pane associated to this table and collapse/pick the Number list, I can see only the original custom fields (that came with MS Project) but no sign of the field created by me.

I hope there is a way to add the field.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Katia,

You cannot create additional fields in the database structure - you can rename fields and enter formulas in them.  If you have the custom field in the table, hover your mouse over the column heading to see what the 'real' field name is.

In the picture above, the field is Number4.

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:55 PM
  • If you use a custom field, you should rename it (not just give it a title in field settings). A title is a temporary name which is only available in the table in which the title is created. A new name sticks, in any table.

When you give a custom field a new name, you should choose a name with a prefix which will send it to the top of the alphabetical list and distinguish your custom fields from the built-in fields. I use "AA...". I know other people use an underscore character.

Report designs use tables (a particular selection and arrangement of columns/fields, not individual fields. If you want a field to appear in a report, then put that field into a table, then put that table into the report.
    You can see this by going to Project, Reports, Custom. Choose a report from the list and click on the Edit button. There you can see how the report is defined and what it is made of.

It is better (housekeeping) to make new custom tables rather than ruining the design of the built in tables.
    It is better (housekeeping) to make new custom reports rather than ruining the design of the built in reports.
    Again, name them with a prefix.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:41 PM
  • Trevor,

I believe Katia is using Project 2013 and wants to add a custom field value to one of the new dashboard reports.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:55 PM
  • I'm in the same boat.  I need to add Text 7, for example, and Number1 to a report.  But those fields are not in the filter selection.  How do I add a field to the selection table?
    Monday, August 29, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Hi maggie,

Which report, please?  Visual reports or dashboard reports?

Release of Project?
    Monday, August 29, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Project Overview report.  I've modified this to include 3 tables - red, yellow, green status based on a filter for each. The columns are Name, Resource Name, Finish, and Text7.  But there is no Text7 to select from in the Field List.

I'm on Microsoft Standard Project 2013

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Hi,

I'm coming to this party late,  but you can do this, pleas see the image below.  You just need to search for Text7 under the Other Fields, Custom....  If you rename the custom field the new name appears.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:10 PM
  • Wow!  Even after I looked at this, I couldn't find my custom field.  Then... my brain must've been on backwards ... I found it.  Duh.

Thanks so much!!

~  maggie

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:59 PM
  • Hi Maggie,

How did you find or add the custom field into the Field List as Ben's sample report demonstrated? I could not find mine or find how to add it to that list...

Thanks!

Harri

Monday, October 9, 2017 7:33 AM
  • I struggled with this as well and then realized, you need to click the triangle next to Custom fields, and then you will see all the custom fields.

Sunday, October 29, 2017 6:27 PM