none
basic cost question RRS feed

• Question

• I am a newbe to ms project.  I have installed the 2010 trial.

I have added 3 tasks.  each occuring after another.

I have created 2 resources.  Developer $50/hr.  and tester $25/hr.

Task 1 and 2 have 40 hours and assigned to Developer.

Task 3 is 40 hours and assigned to tester.

I set the baseline.

Now shouldn't I see the cost of the project?

For example in the column baseline?  baseline total cost?  etc....

thanks for any help

Monday, July 18, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• my_drive --

Apply any task view, such as the Gantt Chart view.  In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Tables pick list button and then select the Cost table.  Drag the split bar to the right side of the screen and you will see the Total Cost column and the Baseline Cost column for each task.

In the Show/Hide section of the Format ribbon, select the Project Summary Task option to display the Project Summary Task for your project.  You will see the Total Cost column displays the total cost for the project in the Project Summary Task (Row 0 or Task 0).  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:08 PM

All replies

• To display the total Cost and Baseline Cost fields for the project, display the Project Summary Task and then apply the Cost table to a task view containing a table.
    Regards. --Ismet
    Monday, July 18, 2011 8:46 PM
  • is the project summary task a view or a column?  i cannot seem to find it.

Monday, July 18, 2011 8:59 PM
  • my_drive --

Apply any task view, such as the Gantt Chart view.  In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Tables pick list button and then select the Cost table.  Drag the split bar to the right side of the screen and you will see the Total Cost column and the Baseline Cost column for each task.

In the Show/Hide section of the Format ribbon, select the Project Summary Task option to display the Project Summary Task for your project.  You will see the Total Cost column displays the total cost for the project in the Project Summary Task (Row 0 or Task 0).  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Thanks for the help.

I actually created the tasks before I filled in the cost on the resource.  It looks like even if you updated the cost after creating the task it will not update.  If I created a new task the costs would be correct.  very strange.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Thanks for the help.

I actually created the tasks before I filled in the cost on the resource.  It looks like even if you updated the cost after creating the task it will not update.  If I created a new task the costs would be correct.  very strange.

Hi,

I guess you are able to find the Cost Table and Project Cost as suggested excellently by Dale.

As for the your current post, the baseline cost will not be saved if you save baseline prior to assigning the cost to the Resource. But your Variance and Remaining cost will be calculated based on the task/resource cost.

So if you follow the sequence of assignment, project costs will be calculated as expected.

Sapna S
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:29 AM
  • It looks like even if you updated the cost after creating the task it will not update.

Hello my_drive,

How do you update the costs ? What field do you input the values ? Project's method of calculating the costs does not vary depending on the order of creating the tasks.

Regards. --Ismet
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:50 AM