none
PS 2010: Generic resource tasks - assignment owner RRS feed

• Question

• In PS2010 how can I set it up so that the assignment owner of generic resources remains blank for published plans.

I found it is a random lottery for whom the Assignment Owner is on plans. When a Team lead is creating plans yet to be resourced I want them to be able to leave the assignment blank - when the plans go Live the generic resources will be swapped out for non-generic resources. Until then nobody should see the generic resource's tasks in their list.

If it has to be that a generic resource gets an assignment owner: how can I make it consistent; random assignment is confusing; the end user cannot tell apart (in Outlook) a tasks for a generic resource or one really assigned to them

I was thinking that if I made all template plans start in 2040; it may stop the tasks appearing: but team leads are likely to set a realistic tentative start date before resourcing

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Monday, September 9, 2013 3:45 PM

All replies

• Andrew,

Generic Resources by definition do not have an assignment owner. Did you by chance create what I call "Semi-Generic" Resource, which is a non-generic resource created with a Generic Name (like Project Manager).

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Monday, September 9, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Hi Prasanna;

I created a whole set of generic resources: i.e. in the resource centre they have been marked as generic.

Whilst in the resource centre they do not; indeed cannot have; an assignment owner - in a published plan the generic resource takes a random assignment owner and any tasks then appear in Outlook - the tasks look the same as tasks assigned to me

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Monday, September 9, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Andrew:

When flaws exist in the software, you can usually isolate a repeating behavior. Most of the time I see behavior that qualifies as random, it is due to data conditions that the software cannot handle. That you are saying the assignments are random like someone dealing a deck of cards strongly suggests the latter, so attempting to capture the sequence of events where these shuffles happen would be very helpful as would a careful examination of the schedules for best practices. 

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:08 PM