none
DPM 2010 + long-term protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have to create an offline copy of some data every day. We have DPM 2010 and I would like to create a new long-term protection group to accomplish this task. We use co-location, and here comes my question.

Can I set the co-location per protection group? I mean we have to backup this new protection group to separate tapes each day, but if co-location in DPM 2010 is a global setting, then we have to turn it off globally.

Thanks for any replies,

Dvijne

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2010 doe not provide granular co-location options, that was added to DPM 2012.  However, only protection groups (PG) with the exact same protection goals will co-locate on the same tape.  So for the PG that you want to be on dedicated tapes, make the protection goal different from the rest of the PG's.

You can get a DPM powershell script from this post to see what PG's will be co-located.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d22936a-a1e0-4ba3-8585-cebf5621999a/full-tape-capacity-not-used?forum=dpmtapebackuprecovery

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:30 PM

All replies