none
System Error 11 (The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2) Logged At Logon

Question

• Right when I log onto a particular Win 7 x64 system that performs as a file server I get a System Error 11 logged:

The specific drive is a Western Digital 2 TB MyBook 1140 USB drive attached via USB3 connection, and apparently has something to do with being spun down.  It won't log the above error if it's already spun up.

The system drive is a RAID 5 array of SSDs managed by Intel RST.  No part of RST seems to even know about the backup drive, so I doubt this is an issue.

I'm not sure why Explorer or anything should be trying to access this particular drive when I log in, nor why it being spun down should cause an error even if something does access it.  It's a pretty lean system, without very much that runs upon logon.

I have the latest Western Digital drivers, and the drive is otherwise perfectly healthy.  Every 3 hours a backup runs and it logs no errors at that time - just when I log into the system interactively, either by RDP or locally on the console.

I prefer to have my systems run error-free, and this is one of two classes of errors I'm trying to eliminate (the other being a recurring registry access error logged by Microsoft Security Essentials, which seems unrelated).

Any ideas?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Noel,

This message is usually being posted due to hardware problems with either the controller or, more likely, a device that is attached to the controller in question. The hardware problems can be associated with poor cabling, incorrect termination or transfer rate settings, lazy or slow device responses to relinquish the SCSI bus, a faulty device, or, in very rare cases, a poorly written device driver.

I would suggest you try to update your fireware for the disk controller. Considering this is an USB device, we also can try to update or reinstall the USB driver. If it is possible, we can try to connect with another USB port to have a check.

Here is a link for reference of troubleshooting this issue.
    How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error messages
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/154690/en-us

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 29, 2015 5:56 AM
  • Thanks.  I'll look for updates for the USB interface and firmware in the drive.

I don't think there's a hardware problem as it copies hundreds of gigabytes without error, and a cable change doesn't affect the problem.

-Noel

Sunday, May 31, 2015 2:01 AM
  • I would suggest you try to update your fireware for the disk controller. Considering this is an USB device, we also can try to update or reinstall the USB driver. If it is possible, we can try to connect with another USB port to have a check.

Thanks for trying, but...

I have updated drive firmware and I have ensured the correct drivers are installed for the USB ports.  Every indication is that all is well with the configuration.

The problem remains.

And so I won't mark this thread as answered.

The same drive on Win 8.1 does not log any errors.  Nor is there any indication of operational failure on the except for this log message.  Backups to and file accesses on the drive are working fine, and with high performance.

At this point I think I'm just going to have to ignore these occasionally logged messages as something Windows 7 does extraneously

As this OS does exactly what is needed - and efficiently - I have no plans to upgrade it to Windows 10 until well after Windows 10's release - if at all.

-Noel

Friday, June 5, 2015 5:36 PM
  • I'm still seeing these intermittently upon login.  Nothing has ever actually gone wrong, but I sure wish I could keep my system event log clean of errors.

-Noel

Not feeling enough love to make one for Windows 10

Friday, December 16, 2016 12:52 PM