How to dock the remote desktop window RRS feed

• Question

• I have remote desktop window within the main windows 7 window. I have two task bars. They are not two seperate windows like they should be.How can i make them two different windows ?

Monday, March 8, 2010 3:18 PM

Answers

• Your post is kind of cryptic, but I think I understand what you're asking.

I am thinking you have set Remote Desktop to run full-screen, in which case your Taskbar on the remote system will be at or near the bottom of your display, while your host system Taskbar is down there as well.

As I use Remote Desktop as well, I spent a little while figuring out a few ways to deal with this.

You can keep the RDS window "windowed", so that it has a full border and resides on less than the full area of your screen, and use a resolution on the remote computer that is less than the area of your monitor.  The Small--Large slider in the Display tab can be used to configure that:  Move it to the left.  With a "windowed" view it's easier to interact with the Taskbar in the remote session, in that it's inside the window.  That has obvious downsides, however, as you may need that screen space when logged-in remotely.

It turns out the MOST effective way I've found to deal with this is to use two monitors (which I was already doing anyway).

I've made the Remote Desktop window open "full-screen" on my second monitor.  Since the Windows Taskbar for my host system only spans the width of the first monitor, there's never any confusion as to which Taskbar I'm interacting with.  I also keep all my desktop icons on the first (left) monitor.

This has the added advantage that since I *never* interact with my host system's Taskbar on the right monitor, when I have a remote session open there it's very clear that it "feels" like an exception, and keeps confusion to a minimum.

I also use a different desktop color / image on each system, so that it's easy to tell what system I'm looking at.

Hope this helps.

-Noel
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:25 AM

All replies

• Your post is kind of cryptic, but I think I understand what you're asking.

I am thinking you have set Remote Desktop to run full-screen, in which case your Taskbar on the remote system will be at or near the bottom of your display, while your host system Taskbar is down there as well.

As I use Remote Desktop as well, I spent a little while figuring out a few ways to deal with this.

You can keep the RDS window "windowed", so that it has a full border and resides on less than the full area of your screen, and use a resolution on the remote computer that is less than the area of your monitor.  The Small--Large slider in the Display tab can be used to configure that:  Move it to the left.  With a "windowed" view it's easier to interact with the Taskbar in the remote session, in that it's inside the window.  That has obvious downsides, however, as you may need that screen space when logged-in remotely.

It turns out the MOST effective way I've found to deal with this is to use two monitors (which I was already doing anyway).

I've made the Remote Desktop window open "full-screen" on my second monitor.  Since the Windows Taskbar for my host system only spans the width of the first monitor, there's never any confusion as to which Taskbar I'm interacting with.  I also keep all my desktop icons on the first (left) monitor.

This has the added advantage that since I *never* interact with my host system's Taskbar on the right monitor, when I have a remote session open there it's very clear that it "feels" like an exception, and keeps confusion to a minimum.

I also use a different desktop color / image on each system, so that it's easy to tell what system I'm looking at.

Hope this helps.

-Noel
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Hi,

Test the issue by right clicking on the blank of taskbar, choose "Propertise", change the "Taskbar location on screen" to "Buttom".

To make it clear you can capture screenshot of the situation or use the psr.exe and upload the collected files to SkyDrive, and let me know the URL by replying this thread. For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

The above Windows Live ID is ONLY for collecting troubleshooting information. Please do NOT send your questions to it. For any new questions, please post in the forums so that more MSFT, MVP and community members can help you.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:27 AM