Self-signed certificate for Exchange 2007 on a Surface tablet RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I have a client whose is running Exchange 2007 server internally with their email infrastructure setup like this;

* Their email sits on an external server mail.acme.com

* Internal Exchange server (ExchangeServer.local) pulls email at time intervals from mail.acme.com

* The internal server has a self-signed certificate for ExchangeServer.local , Cn= ExchangeServer 

* Email connections from smartphone (Android, iPhone and Blackberry) or external browser uses the Exchange server public ip address of 77.88.200.100 (https://77.88.200.100/owa); The self-signed certificate is flagged and then accepted as a Trust Authority

The issue that I am experiencing is that I cannot add exchange email on the Surface Tablet even after importing the self-signed certificate ExchangeServer. My conclusion is that I would need a certificate for 77.88.200.100 because the error that comes back when I tested it on Internet Explorer is a certificate mismatch with the website. If I am right, how do I go about  this or what am I missing if I am using self-signed?

I appreciate any help or direction to help. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:58 PM

Answers

• You have a problem with a name. Usually, you don't connect to Exchange by using IP address but by using name. Name is on Exchange self-signed cert, and you will get error any time you use anything else when connecting. One workaround can be to add following entry to hosts file of your client machine :

77.888.200.100 ExchangeServerName

Then you will be able to use name to connect.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

• Proposed as answer by damirdMVP Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Sunday, June 16, 2013 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:33 PM