none
DNS design

Question

• Hi,

I have some questions about DNS and how to design this essential service. I will try to describe my situation and my questions as follows:

I have 2 domains running,  let’s call the domains a.a and b.b. In domain a.a DNS is running on the domain controllers with AD-integrated zones. But in domain b.b DNS is running on a Linux-based BIND-implementation. This works OK but now I want to move DNS for domain b.b to Windows-based DNS with AD-integrated zones. Between the domains there is established a 2-way trust.

In addition, DHCP for all subnets (with clients from both domains)  is running on the domain-controllers for a.a.

So my questions:

• Should I run DNS for domain b.b on the domain-controllers for b.b, or will it work OK to run DNS for b.b on the same DNS-servers as for domain a.a, in other words on the domain-controllers for a.a?
    • If I run DNS for both domains on the same servers, will the domain-controllers for b.b be able to register all necessary records for the domain b.b?

Thor-Egil

Friday, February 3, 2017 6:50 PM

All replies

• I'd put DNS for b.b on the b.b domain controller.

a.a clients should have address of a.a DC for DNS and b.b clients should have address of b.b DC for DNS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Burak Uğur Saturday, February 4, 2017 12:00 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 8:33 PM
  • So my questions:

• Should I run DNS for domain b.b on the domain-controllers for b.b, or will it work OK to run DNS for b.b on the same DNS-servers as for domain a.a, in other words on the domain-controllers for a.a?
    • If I run DNS for both domains on the same servers, will the domain-controllers for b.b be able to register all necessary records for the domain b.b?

Thor-Egil

- Recommendation is configure AD-integrated DNS,so you should configure dns on a DC.

- You should manually create records from both domain.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Saturday, February 4, 2017 12:03 PM