Intermittent restart pos ready 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• I have pos 2009 on a point of sale unit for my c store. I'm getting an intermittent restart of the system. Screen goes blank, and the system reboots. In the event viewer, i'm getting a "reg filter" error sometimes when this happens. The details say "registry filter unable to open some registy keys for monitoring". Could this be part of the problem. Or had had a IT person tell me maybe it is restarting because I have too many USB devices (I have 7 devices) Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• Registry Filter is a companion service to the File-Based Write Filter (FBWF) and if FBWF is not enabled and protecting a storage volume this event notification is irrelevant. I would not expect the problem to be caused by the number of USB devices that you have connected.  It is more important to understand exactly what the user is doing at the time the reboot occurs to see if there is any correlation between what appears to be random events. 

Are you receiving a "Blue Screen" when this reboot occurs?  If that is the case then we need to understand the error that appears on the "Blue Screen".  If this is happening on a single unit and not spread across a number of different units then it is possible that this is a hardware issue which can be caused by loose connections inside the case, such as RAM that is not firmly set in its slot or other connections that are behaving erratically.  Please note, this is purely speculation as we really don't have much evidence to help point you in a specific direction at this point.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Terry,

The screen goes black. One thing to add. Someones the reboot happens while running a credit card transaction. How do I go about finding out what the error is??

Thanks

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:32 PM
  • That is a difficult question with the limited information that we have about your specific deployment.  If the problem is occurring while you are running your Point of Sale software, I would suggest that you contact your software provider for assistance.  Otherwise, your best avenue for assistance is to contact your hardware manufacturer as they would have intimate knowledge of the specific pre-installation.  It is very important to understand exactly what the user is doing when the problem occurs. 

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:17 PM