windows vista installer error 1084 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need to remove "HP Credential Manager" from my laptop, because it`s preventing me from logging on. Hewlett Packard recomends go to safe mode and uninstall the software.

I boot my system in "safe mode" but when I tried to remove the software I get the error

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed , This can occur if the windows Installer is not correctly installed"

When I check the installer service I found the installer service is not running, I tried to start it and get the error

"Windows could not start the Windows Installer service in Local Computer

Error 1084 This service cannot be started in Safe Mode"

Any help

Thanks

Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Windows Installer will not work under Safe Mode by default. To make Windows Installer work under safe mode, you need to create a registry entry for every type of safe mode you are logged in to.

1.      Start the computer in Safe Mode.

2.      Click Start, type CMD and press Enter.

3.      Please run the following commands one by one.

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

net start msiserver

4.      Then, Windows Installer will be started.

In addition, If you still encounter problem when removing the software. I suggest you run a Microsoft tool called Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove the software.

For more information:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Windows Installer will not work under Safe Mode by default. To make Windows Installer work under safe mode, you need to create a registry entry for every type of safe mode you are logged in to.

1.      Start the computer in Safe Mode.

2.      Click Start, type CMD and press Enter.

3.      Please run the following commands one by one.

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

net start msiserver

4.      Then, Windows Installer will be started.

In addition, If you still encounter problem when removing the software. I suggest you run a Microsoft tool called Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove the software.

For more information:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:35 AM
  •  

Thank You very very much, nice comment really appreciate It

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:45 PM
  • When I try this I get the Error 1084 message under the command line I entered. My problem is similar to the original in this thread, but I am trying to uninstall a corrupt version of Symantec Endpoint Protection. Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Thanks it works!
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:38 PM