System Restore won't work RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for help with a system restore that won't work and I've run some checks already to no-avail.

I uninstalled AVG free anti-virus yesterday, I had to use their special down load package since Add/Remove through the control panel and CCleaner wouldn't work.  Now AVG is gone, I installed AVAST free anti virus, my PC is super slow, and noticed System Restore won't work.  I try to open it (Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> System Tools>> System Restore) but the window opens blank.  There is a small white box in the upper left side of the window but that's it.

Thanks for your help!

Drew

Sunday, November 6, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• System restore depends on shadow copies. I've seens multiple occasions of Antivirus software tampering with the existing snapshots. unfortunately, usually this means system restore is not available.

However, i would suggets to try system restore from Safe Mode.

In this kb you will find info on how to troubleshoot issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796.

this usually tunrs down to disabling system restore(and thus deleting existing restore points) and reconfiguring system restore

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:01 PM