none
Global Login Question RRS feed

• Question

• I posted the following information at the Windows 8 forum but was directed here and I hope someone can answer my question.

==========================

I recently upgraded my laptop from XPHome to 8 Release Preview (works wonderfully!...actually faster/better). My main question is as follows:

I have always been a heavy remote user with XP/7 and love that Win 8 takes it a step further with cloud-based functionality. My issue is with the security of this feature. If I connect to john doe's win 8 pc and get my data remotely. When I disconnect/sign off, will my remote (now local) data be removed as if it wasn't there or will it stay stored as local data (like roaming profiles or RDC users do from XP) so john doe can then view my docs, music, etc. in the hidden system directories?

I do hope this makes sense but if it doesn't I will gladly clarify.

Thanks in advanced!

Andrew

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hey Andrew,

I think I understood what you meant...:)

This is from the Windows 8 Folder Redirection, Offline Files and Roaming User Profiles overview:

Roaming User Profiles redirects user profiles to a file share so that users receive the same operating system and application settings on multiple computers. When a user signs in to a computer by using a domain account that is set up with a file share as the profile path, the user’s profile is downloaded to the local computer and merged with the local profile (if present). When the user logs off the computer, the local copy of their profile, including any changes, is merged with the server copy of the profile.

If I understand correctly, if you log in to a computer that is not configured as your primary then you user profile is cached locally by default (meaning your file would be accessible from hidden system directories), but this configuration can be changed.

As for RDC, the main change is the Metro Style UI but functionality is pretty much similar with some enhancements. If you want to use the Win 7 RDC, just go to the system32 folder and run mstsc.exe.

Hope this helps,

Adriana

• Marked as answer by wacoody Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hey Andrew,

I think I understood what you meant...:)

This is from the Windows 8 Folder Redirection, Offline Files and Roaming User Profiles overview:

Roaming User Profiles redirects user profiles to a file share so that users receive the same operating system and application settings on multiple computers. When a user signs in to a computer by using a domain account that is set up with a file share as the profile path, the user’s profile is downloaded to the local computer and merged with the local profile (if present). When the user logs off the computer, the local copy of their profile, including any changes, is merged with the server copy of the profile.

If I understand correctly, if you log in to a computer that is not configured as your primary then you user profile is cached locally by default (meaning your file would be accessible from hidden system directories), but this configuration can be changed.

As for RDC, the main change is the Metro Style UI but functionality is pretty much similar with some enhancements. If you want to use the Win 7 RDC, just go to the system32 folder and run mstsc.exe.

Hope this helps,

Adriana

• Marked as answer by wacoody Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:22 PM
  • I appreciate the reply.

Thank you.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:53 PM