none
Slab Consolidation in a VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone

We have implemented Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces with HDD and SSD Disks and Virtual Disk on it configured with automatic tiering. On some VMs (Windows Server 2012R2, Generation 2 VM) im getting the following Event in the Application Log:

The volume Data (D:) was not optimized because an error was encountered: Neither Slab Consolidation nor Slab Analysis will run if slabs are less than 8 MB. (0x8900002D)

Can anybody help me with this error?

Also im wondering if the Default scheduled defrag Job in a VM make sense in my Environment.

Thanks for your help and / or suggestions.

Cheers Roger

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you found an answer yet? We are seeing the same error on a 2012R2 Hyper-V guest machine.

Cheers

Ian

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Hi Ian

I have found a Workaround that seems to work, but can't be a solution, what i did:

I stopped the defrag schedule on this VM for 2 weeks and then reactivated the Job again. Then the defrag Job was able to do what it should.

I'm still wondering about best practices from Microsoft or suggestions in general if it makes sense to defrag virtual disks in a vm.

Could you please give me some informations about your Storage and virtualization platform?

Cheers Roger

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Same problem here also. Did someone ever find a solution?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:33 AM
  • No still no solution, unfortunately
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:17 AM