none
Setting registry audit settings System access control lists (SACLs) via GPO without modifying existing registry key Discretionary access control lists (DACLs)

Question

• Hello and Merry Christmas,

I want to be notified  via security eventlog when a new registry key is created under the following branch and some others 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EnterpriseCertificates\Root\Certificates

What I first did was activating auditing via GPO

So far so clear no problems. 

Now I configured a new GPO with the System access control lists (SACLs) and  Discretionary access control lists (DACLs). The problem is I do not want to configure any DACLs. I just want to configure SACLs for audit and want the DACLs on the configured servers untouched. 

Here my configuration of the second GPO.

My Problem is I can not find a way to configute just the audit part in the GPO (red part in the screenshot), without setting any DACLs (green part in screenshot):

• Edited by Arno N Sunday, December 25, 2016 9:50 PM
    Sunday, December 25, 2016 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Have you tried the following KB to see if it helps you? If not, please try it manually:
    How to use Group Policy to audit registry keys in Windows Server 2003
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/324739
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 26, 2016 5:24 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

I tried but same problem here. kb324739 states the following:

1. In the Registry list, click the registry key that you want to use, and then click OK. For example:

MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    2. Click Advanced, click the Auditing tab, and then click Add.

But before even klicking on advanced you get the DACLs fild filled (green rectangle in screenshot)

when I remove all the DACS (green) I get the following message:

Perhaps GPO is not the perfect way to configure SACLs on registrykeys? The manual way is no option here because I have to configure this on more than 1000 servers.

Monday, December 26, 2016 10:21 AM
  • Just tried to apply the GPO without any DACLs set. In this case all the DACLs get wiped on the registry key. The result on the client looks like this:

Monday, December 26, 2016 9:33 PM
  • Seems like, this should help you to enable security auditing and track such changes as per your choice - https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/123727-how-to-track-critical-policy-changes-in-the-ad-environment
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:58 AM
  •   Thank you michaelsymondson but your article is not about auditing of a specific registry key.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

Can I ask why not to set the SACLs? And if a registry need to be audited, accessing it might be the precondition.

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 2, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Can I ask why not to set the SACLs? And if a registry need to be audited, accessing it might be the precondition.

Hi Wendi, the problem is I do not know how the SACLs are set in my environment. We have over 1000 servers that are administered by a lot of teams, with a whole set of applications installed on them. How can I know if there are not any dependencies. Accessing is possible for me because I am a domain administrator that is no problem.     
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe, you could use script to set the permission for registry on multiple servers:

How to change registry values or permissions from a command line or a script

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/264584

and you could use group policy to deploy the script into these servers.

Best regards,

Wendy

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:24 AM