Machines with the same name within the same forest RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any issues with some machine name in the same forrest?

I plan to be building 4 DC so in Domain 1 I will have a server called ad1.domain1.com and ad2.domain1.com

and in Domain 2 i plan to have servers called ad1.domain2.com and ad2.domain2.com

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:45 PM

Answers

• you could do this, but it may not be the best approach to be honest...

if someone tries to ping / talk to ad1 but didn't specify the FQDN then they wouldn't know what domain to use - and would default to the first DNS suffix appended to the search.

If you are using WINS in the forest this will also likely cause you issues. 

so whilst you can, i wouldn't

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, February 10, 2014 5:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:03 PM

I plan to be building 4 DC so in Domain 1 I will have a server called ad1.domain1.com and ad2.domain1.com

and in Domain 2 i plan to have servers called ad1.domain2.com and ad2.domain2.com

Yes, you can but as suggested by Denis its not the best way. The issue will arise when you have tree root domain or both the forest are going to communicate over trust. The issue will be resolving just the system name & it might create a conflict, instead its better to choose unique name.

Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:26 AM

All replies

• you could do this, but it may not be the best approach to be honest...

if someone tries to ping / talk to ad1 but didn't specify the FQDN then they wouldn't know what domain to use - and would default to the first DNS suffix appended to the search.

If you are using WINS in the forest this will also likely cause you issues. 

so whilst you can, i wouldn't

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:03 PM

Yes, you can but as suggested by Denis its not the best way. The issue will arise when you have tree root domain or both the forest are going to communicate over trust. The issue will be resolving just the system name & it might create a conflict, instead its better to choose unique name.

Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:26 AM