none
Installing DPM2010 on SBS2011 (Domain Controller) fails error ID 811 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install DPM2010 on a SBS2011 server. I've followed all the steps for installing on a domain controller and when I go to install, it runs through the installation program then fails with ID811, failed to create DPMDB. However, the DPMDB is there in SQL when I check, but the program shortcuts aren't created and DPM will not open when trying to run from c:\program files ...  the MMC just instantly crashes out.

I've also tried running the final step of the setup on a DC, the SQL query and it gives error "Msg 14294, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_verify_job_identifiers, Line 25 Supply either @job_id or @job_name to identify the job."

Can anyone advise how I can get this installed?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:10 PM

Answers

• I'd recommend against installing DPM on an SBS 2011 server. An SBS 2011 box is already doing so much that a DPM install is likely work than the typical SBS hardware can take. Plus, the DR scenarios don't work out very well if your on-site backup is on the same server that everything else is on.

What is the reason for wanting to install DPM 2010 on SBS 2011.

Aaron Marks
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by PaulC79 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:41 AM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:07 AM

All replies

• Can you see in failure state if DPM service is installed or not.

If it is installed, try starting it. It should fail to start, see the event viewer entry as to why is it failing

Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi Nutesh

It seems to install everything. I've got the DPMDB showing in SQL and it has tables (whether it is all the tables I don't know, the install fails very fast when it hits Populating Database).  All the programs files show in c:\programs files\microsoft dpm and I have the following services listed and their states:

• DPM : Manual : Started
    • DPM Access Manager : Automatic  : Started
    • DPM Agent Coordinator :  Manual : Not Started
    • DPM Writer : Automatic : Started
    • DPMLA : Manual  : Not Started
    • DMPRA : Manual : Not Started

I can send the DPM Setup logs if needed.

Paul

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:42 PM
  • ok send the logs to nugarg AT microsoft DOT com
    Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:15 PM
  • I've just emailed this over for you.

Thanks.

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:11 PM
  • I'd recommend against installing DPM on an SBS 2011 server. An SBS 2011 box is already doing so much that a DPM install is likely work than the typical SBS hardware can take. Plus, the DR scenarios don't work out very well if your on-site backup is on the same server that everything else is on.

What is the reason for wanting to install DPM 2010 on SBS 2011.

Aaron Marks
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by PaulC79 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:41 AM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Aaron is correct DPM should not be installed on a SBS server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399554.aspx

"DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:

•A computer on which the Application Server role is installed

•A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server

•A computer on which Exchange Server is running

•A computer that is a node of a cluster"

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:49 PM