none
Entering actuals (Project Pro 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Help?

Is there a way I can record actual work (by hours) split 3 ways against each task:

• Standard (i.e. plain time)
    • Overtime at time and a half 
    • Overtime at double time

Fingers crossed..... :-)

Cheers

Jon

PS - we dont have project server (nor likely to get it either!) - just stand alone MS Project 2010

Friday, November 23, 2012 12:29 AM

All replies

• I'm afraid you'll need multiple tasks - or two at least. One for the base rate and one overtime rate, the other for the second overtime rate.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Jon,

Well yes, there probably is, but how about an example. And what is your end goal?

For example, let's say task A has a work content of 12 hours and resource Bob is assigned to work it. If you plan on having Bob work the task to completion in a single day, I assume the first 8 hours is at standard rate. After that some combination of time and a half and double time kicks in, but when?

Note, the solution may require some VBA.

John

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Hi both and thanks for your replies thus far,

Some more detail......

I have a time sheet which outputs via MS Excel into rows:

The resource name (Row 2) 
    total standard hours (Row 3) 
    total OT @ 1.5 (Row 4) 
    total OT @ 2(Row 5)

And into columns (along the top - row 1) it outputs months (Jan, Feb, Mar etc..)

So essential what you have is a grid/matrix which tells me who did what summed by month

Mar Apr May
    John Smith
    Stnd hours 100 150 200
    OT 1.5 10 2 0
    OT 2 5 0 7

What I would like to do is paste this information directly into the task usage view in MS Project. 

To that end I have set up Actual Work (to accommodate the stnd hours) and Actual Overtime Work (to accommodate OT @ 1.5) and further, I have set up the time scale to be monthly too. The problem comes when I paste my standard hours and OT @1.5 into MS Project the 'Actual Work' increases by the amount in the Actual Overtime Work.

I had intended to do exactly as GMcH suggested above i.e. add a separate row, however I was going to do that to accommodate the OT @ 2 utilising a different 'Cost Rate Table' entry and mandate my Project Managers to manually select this when they require OT @ 2.

Hopefully the above helps?

Cheers

Jon

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Jon, for what you're trying to do I would recommend having three tasks - one each for standard rate, standard overtime and double overtime. Working with time phased Overtime data is tricky - as you have found.

Graham

Friday, November 23, 2012 3:21 PM