none
Making domain controller before installing Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If I am doing project server farm installation, is it necessary that the server has Active Directory installed and that it is a domain controller?

Or if I install it on server which is part of workgroup, it will still work?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:27 AM

Answers

•  

No, Installing Project Server or SharePoint Server on domain controller is not a good idea and reason for that is security configuration of domain controller often makes hard to work these applications without any problem. Having said that Project server is not supported on Small Business server which has domain controller, exchange server etc.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:52 PM

All replies

• You cannot install SharePoint or Project Server without a domain. Setup a separate VM for your domain controller.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Gary. However if you are looking for something to setup ONLY for TESTING purpose there is a workaround for it using PowerShell command “New-SPConfigurationDatabase”

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/fromthefield/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=112

Hope this helps.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:17 PM
  • You cannot install SharePoint or Project Server without a domain. Setup a separate VM for your domain controller.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Sorry didn't get your part about using separate VM. Can't I make domain controller on same VM on which I am installing Sharepoint and Project Server?
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:48 PM
  •  

No, Installing Project Server or SharePoint Server on domain controller is not a good idea and reason for that is security configuration of domain controller often makes hard to work these applications without any problem. Having said that Project server is not supported on Small Business server which has domain controller, exchange server etc.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:52 PM
  • @Hrishi

I am currently using Windows Server 2008 R2 on a VM and I have no other choice but to use domain controller, Sharepoint and Project Server on same machine. Let's see how it goes.

@Gary

By the way I was just reading the answers given here and all of a sudden I realized the first answer is given by Gary Cheftz himself!

Couldn't believe it at first because currently I am reading your book "Administering and Implementing Microsoft Project Server 2010" and it's a masterpiece. Although I got hold of 1st version and that too a pirated one costing around $8.5 (sorry Gary) and not 2nd because it is not available in our country and the original book even if I order online is very expensive for me.

But I really admire your efforts and think this book is AWESOME!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:03 PM