UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP error on windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Recently I have installed windows 8.1 on my laptop. I am using Lenovo G400s.

Specification:

• Processor: 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, 2.6 GHz)
    • RAM: 4GB
    • Graphics card: Intel® HD Graphics + 1GB Nvidia graphics card.
    • HDD: 1TB

After installing windows I have installed all the driver that I have for my laptop. I have installed both intel and nvidia graphics driver because I have switchable graphics options. and it works great in windows 7. Connected to internet. Then I installed Visual studio 2013 community update 4. Also installed Internet download manager.

After that I restarted my pc, and connected to internet. After 5-10 mins my pc tries to download something but I couldn't read the file name because of it shows an error message that "Your pc might have ... collecting data... 10%... 20%...... UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP"  and restarts. Then I have uninstalled idm, thought that IDM can cause the error. Again I tried to connect to internet and still it shows this error and my pc restarts.

Please help me out.

Thanks,

Mehedi

Friday, January 23, 2015 1:58 PM

Answers

• I have got an answer from Matt Small , See below what I did.

"1. Turn off windows feature hyper-v

2. Restart your pc

3. Start Hyper-v and restart

4. while running the emulator, there will be a message box written "do you want to configure the emulator to connect to Internet??"

5. press no,

I think your problem will b solved

I had same problem and solved it.

I think there is a problem connecting emulator with internet, so while connecting internet, the bsod problem is occurred.

Note: If anyone Install sdk and didn't run emulator, then he don't need to follow 1st three step "

So far still its working for me. For now I can open wp sdk with emulator and internet connection is working as well.

Thank you very much :)

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, January 26, 2015 11:36 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 10:28 AM

All replies

•  We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

As it is a new built system, the only things it installed are drivers and maybe some Windows updates.

First you can boot into Safe Mode with networking to see if same issue persists when connect to internet.

And you can try to uninstall installed drivers to see if issue still exists.

These are common steps for troubleshooting such an issue. In order to find the exact cause, as mentioned above we need the dump file for analysis.

How to read the small memory dump file that is created by Windows if a crash occurs
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 26, 2015 10:17 AM
  • I have got an answer from Matt Small , See below what I did.

"1. Turn off windows feature hyper-v

2. Restart your pc

3. Start Hyper-v and restart

4. while running the emulator, there will be a message box written "do you want to configure the emulator to connect to Internet??"

5. press no,

I think your problem will b solved

I had same problem and solved it.

I think there is a problem connecting emulator with internet, so while connecting internet, the bsod problem is occurred.

Note: If anyone Install sdk and didn't run emulator, then he don't need to follow 1st three step "

So far still its working for me. For now I can open wp sdk with emulator and internet connection is working as well.

Thank you very much :)

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, January 26, 2015 11:36 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 10:28 AM