Running a batch file under Schedule Software Updates to synch time not running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Steady State under the Schedule Software Updates, I have a batch file I want it to run to check in with our server and synch the right time.  I have the box checked for Custom Updates and then the batch file.

All the batch file says is this:

@echo off

net time \\servername /set /yes

I have it set to also auto run every time I log in as admin and it runs fine.

when I have ti set to run as the custom update ( I set my system ahead by 10 minutes) it doesn't run.

The Server has the right time and is set by atomic clock.. so I know that time is not off  ; )

Is there some reason this batch file is not running under the custom updates?

Thanks,

John Schlosser
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can validate that the script is being run by adding some debug output to a text file (echo Testing... >> c:\debug.txt).  A potential issue is that the script is being run under the local system account, rather than the admin account.  Perhaps "net time" requires a certain level of access to the server that a domain account would have but the local system account does not.

You may have better luck using w32tm.exe.  This controls the Time service, which is already running under an appropriate account.  That should eliminate the account issue, if that is the problem.
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, April 17, 2009 2:26 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:14 AM