none
Clicking "Favorites," un-specified period delay, screen goes completely black (except for taskbar). clic on 2nd IE icon (black) and... RRS feed

• Question

• I don't believe any of the "found" threads apply.

click on Favorites the screen immediately turns black. The taskbar remains visible. If I move cursor down to the IE "E" on the taskbar and select the IE (E) image that is black it either immediately returns the screen with the "Add to Favorites" option box or (after selecting the black option box a number of times) the screen is displayed with the "Add to Favorites" box. Clicking add works without a problem. But nothing seems to alleviate the problem.

My wife and I share the machine but she has not experienced the problem.

I didn't notice the problem until after I installed the updates I needed to install to allow me to install Windows 8.1 - particularly the Bing package.

Suggestions?

David Schrader

David (Whose retirement hasn't been as exciting as I was lead to believe.)

• Edited by Cloud_TSModerator Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:50 AM remove personal information
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:52 PM

All replies

• You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer by beginning your own, new thread in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1

TIP: If Comcast freebie Norton Security Suite and/or Constant Guard Protection Suite is installed, state that in your very first post.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

Please disable hardware acceleration, follow these steps:

1.Open Internet Explorer.

2.Click the Tools icon in the upper-right corner, and then click Internet Options.

3.Click the Advanced tab, and then under Accelerated graphics, select the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box.

If this issue persists, let’s reset Internet Explorer for a check:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:24 AM
  • Alex,

I followed your directions.

A. Toggled "software rendering." Exited browser and re-started. No change. Problem

still present.

B. Reset IE settings (including resetting personal items). Exited browser and re-started.

Problem still existed.

Going on to other suggestions.

David

Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

In this situation, I suggest you turn off it and turn on it to check if you can get rid of this problem:

Here's how:

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2.Enter Windows features in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Turn Windows features on or off.

3.In the Windows Features dialog box, clear the Internet Explorer 11 check box.

Restart and repeat this procedure to turn it on.

Alex Zhao

Friday, July 4, 2014 2:53 AM
  • Followed your directions. Turned off MSIE11 followed by a reboot. After system re-started turned MSIE11 back on and rebooted. Once everything settled down (i.e., Bing restarting and the like) I went to a "Favorite" to start MSIE. Once it was started I tried saving a favorite. It brought up the "save a favorite" box, there was a brief pause, 2-3 seconds, and the screen went blank again. Following the usual pattern the black screen passed after 20-30 seconds. I tried again and the black screen appeared immediately (as in the past) then following past behavior, after 20-30 seconds the screen was restored to what it was (the screen of the site  wanted to save as s Favorite" and the "Save as a Favorite" box was posted." No change that I could tell.

If you have any other ideas I'm open to suggestions.

David

Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

Can you uninstall the particular update for a check? From you description, it may be caused by the specific update.

Alex Zhao

Monday, July 7, 2014 11:48 AM
  • I can probably remove any update installed but have no idea which one to remove. This has been going on for quite a while now.

David

Monday, July 7, 2014 11:02 PM
  • I click on Favorites the screen immediately turns black. The taskbar remains visible...

My wife and I share the machine but she has not experienced the problem. [emphasis mine]

I didn't notice the problem until after I installed the updates I needed to install to allow me to install Windows 8.1 - particularly the Bing package.

[The "Bing package" was not a Win8.1 prerequisite, David.]

Assuming Win8.1 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did the computer come with Win8 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win8, or did you upgrade a (e.g., Win7) computer to Win8?

1c. When (approx. date) was Win8.1 installed?

2. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (e.g., Comcast's Norton Security Suite and/or Constant Guard Protection Suite), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription, if any, expire?

3. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., note Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6a. Is KB2957689, KB2964736, KB2939576, KB2957189, KB2965788, KB2966072 and/or KB2926765 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

6b. When (exact date) was KB2919355 installed according to Installed Updates?

7a. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

7b. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

8. Is Adobe Flash Player v14.0.0.125 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

=======================================================
    [1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Monday, July 7, 2014 11:37 PM
  • click on Favorites the screen immediately turns black. The taskbar remains visible.

Please clarify what "click on Favorites" means.  E.g. mentioning the Taskbar suggests the possibility that you are using Favorites via a Taskbar Toolbar.  If this is about something you are doing in an IE window you could further reduce ambiguity by saying whether whatever you are doing would involve Alt-a Ctrl-I Ctrl-Shift-I or the Links bar (now unfortunately called the Favorites Bar.)  In addition there could be yet another "Favorites" (another unfortunate relabeling) in a File Explorer window which would have nothing to do with either IE or its Favorites!   ; }

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:48 AM
    Answerer
  • I'll try to reply to each of your questions. I hope I will provide sufficient information.

1a. I purchased the computer not quite nine months ago.
    1b. To computer came with the operating system 8.0 installed. I had hoped to set up the computer to dual-boot both operating system 7 and 8. This caused no end of problems, with the end result being working with HP to reinstall the initial operating system 8.0 from five CDs which they sent me. This was done about a month and a half to two months ago.
    The machine came with 8.0. I was nagged regularly to install 8.1. Before I could do so there were in the neighborhood of 100 upgrades and updates that demanded to be installed before 8.1 could be installed. I installed all of these upgrades and was finally able to install 8.1. This was in approximately the same timeframe as the restoration of 8.0.
    2. The system came with Norton preinstalled. It is about to expire now. Since Norton comes free as part of my subscription to Comcast I had/have anticipated installing Norton from their site and continuing to use the Norton product.
    3. I am unable to run Windows Defender con currently with the Norton product. I run Malwarebytes with the hope that it will discover and isolate or remove any malware that may attempt to install itself on my machine. As far as firewall, the Microsoft version is the only firewall I have in my machine.

4. Nothing other than the Norton software has been installed on this machine.
    5. As indicated Norton came with the machine and has been active since the machine was first started and since the reinstallation from scratch was carried out under the direction of HP.

6a. With reference to the various KB installations I selected this option and then looked for each of them.

I have listed them by the last three digits of their number followed by the date that they were installed:
         689 - 6/11
         736 - 6/11
         576 - 6/11
         189 - 6/11
         788 - 6/11
         072 - 6/11
         765 - 5/20

6.b KB 335 was shown as installed on 3/18.

7a. See below in answer to IE 11s About page.

7b. I have no other browsers installed on this machine although my daughter is ask me to install Chrome.

8. See the above for the report from the Adobe site.

I might note  that I frequently  receive messages  indicating  that my version  of  the Adobe flash player  is out of date. HP Indicated I should ignore these messages  because  Microsoft update system  would provide the appropriate  update when it was available.

9. No, I am not in the habit of using any "registry cleaners" on my machine although I am plagued by pop-ups (which sneak around the fact that I have turned off pop-ups) indicating there are numerous problems with my registry.

I hope this provides  the information  you required. Should you require more information  please let me know.

David Schrader

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:35 AM
  • I will try to clarify what I mean by clicking on favorites. In the image shown below you will see that I am inside Internet Explorer 11. That at the top of the screen is the menu bar and that one of the options on the menu bar is "Favorites." (See image below.)

Unfortunately I am not sure what you mean when you say alt-a, ctrl-I, or ctrl-shift-I, or any of the other items that you listed. The only option that I have been using is to click on the "Favorites" in the menu bar and choosing to save site URL via that option.

I hope that this will provide sufficient information to answer your question.

David Schrader

• Edited by dfschrader0 Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:49 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:45 AM
  • not sure what you mean when you say alt-a, ctrl-I, or ctrl-shift-I, or any of the other items that you listed.

Try them and see?   They could be useful as diagnostics or workarounds depending on how they compare with your problem symptom.  What you showed us is  Alt-a.   So, nothing to do with the Taskbar.  Carry on.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Ok, I've tried them. (First from outside of IE11 without anything happening - ha-ha, more the fool I). Once inside I found that each opened a different option for adding to Favorites - something new learned. I thank you for the new tools. :o)

Each of these items, though, seems to provide a method for selecting a URL to *goto* rather than a method of adding a new URL to the Favorites list, which is where my problem is rooted. :o(

Perhaps this will clarify what I'm doing...

Once at a site I want to add, I move my mouse cursor to the "Favorites" option and click. What happens is never is predictable except for a delay of from 6 to (who-knows-how-many) 45 seconds (by timing so far). Then the box to add the URL either appears or the screen goes black. If it goes black it stays that way (again) for some undeterminable period.

Odd as it may sound, if I select to add it to the "Favorites Bar" everything works smoothly except I have to go to the "Favorites Bar" and transfer the newly added entries into the "Favorites" category regularly.

David Schrader

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:02 PM
  • 1a. I purchased the computer not quite nine months ago [i.e., Oct/Nov-13].
    1b. To computer came with the operating system 8.0 installed. I had hoped to set up the computer to dual-boot both operating system 7 and 8. This caused no end of problems, with the end result being working with HP to reinstall the initial operating system 8.0 from five CDs which they sent me. This was done [in early March 2014]...
    [1c. Win8.1 was installed in early March 2014, too.]
    2. The system came with Norton preinstalled. It is about to expire now. Since Norton comes free as part of my subscription to Comcast I had/have anticipated installing Norton from their site and continuing to use the Norton product.
    3. [MBAM; Windows Firewall]
    4. Nothing other than the Norton software has been installed on this machine.
    5. As indicated Norton came with the machine and has been active since the machine was first started and since the reinstallation from scratch was carried out under the direction of HP.
    6a. [Yes]
    6b. [18 March 2014]
    7a. Update Version: 11.0.9 (KB2957689)
    7b. [No]
    8. [Yes] I might note that I frequently receive messages indicating that my [Flash Player] version is out of date...
    9. No, I am not in the habit of using any "registry cleaners" on my machine although I am plagued by pop-ups [emphasis mine]...indicating there are numerous problems with my registry.

Please be assured that the pop-ups have nothing whatsoever to do with "problems with the registry." You're seeing the effects of a "hijackware infection."  It's the most likely cause of your Favorites problem as well as most, if not all, of the "you need to update Flash Player" pop-ups (although you may need to update Flash). That being said...

1. What's the full name of the Norton free-trialware (e.g., Norton AntiVirus; Norton Security Suite)?

2. Is it a 30-day, 60-day, 90-day or one year free-trial?

3a. Were you planning on replacing the Norton free-trial with Comcast's Norton Security Suite or Comcast's Constant Guard Protection Suite (which includes the Norton suite)?

• Fact: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling or upgrading cleanly. You do NOT want to "upgrade" the free-trialware to either of the Comcast applications!

3b. Did you know that Win8.1 includes a free anti-virus/anti-malware application (i.e., Windows Defender) as well as a firewall?

4. Is KB2962872, KB2971850, KB2973201, KB2961072, KB2972280 and/or KB2974008 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History) now?

5. Is Adobe Flash Player v14.0.0.145 for Internet Explorer installed now? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

6. You are not multi-booting (i.e., Win7 is not installed, too), is that correct?

7a. Has MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) ever detected & removed anything?

7b. Is MBAM Premium or MBAM Free installed?

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Each of these items, though, seems to provide a method for selecting a URL to *goto* rather than a method of adding a new URL to the Favorites list, which is where my problem is rooted. :o(

Yes.  I just wanted to be sure we knew what context "clicking on Favorites" was.

BTW since you are just adding to the Favorites root, pressing  Ctrl-d  Enter  and right-click  Add to Favorites... would be other methods of doing what you are trying.   At the time I was trying to establish what "clicking on Favorites" meant I could not have mentioned those alternatives because it wasn't even clear if you were starting from inside IE.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Here's he answers as best I can:

1. I don't know. All I can tell you is that when I open it it says "Norton Internet Security." I'm not certain how I would determine which version so I could answer your question.

2. I can't be 100% cetain what the trial period is but I suspect that it's the 90 day version since it is about to expire and it's been about 90 days sinve HP and I re-installed the OS (8.0) and I began and conpleted the upgrade to 8.1.
    3a. I don't know. I have no idea what Comcast provides. I'll have to check what they provide.
    ***Based upon what you said, I would assume that I'd have to un-install the old version before installing ANY version - whatever they provide.
    3b. Yes, I was aware that W7, W8, and W8.1 all provide Windows Defender and (a) firewall. Since Norton deactivates WD I haven't been able to use it. From my past experience, I'd rather use WD but haven't been able to do so.
    ***Based on your comments (suggestions??), perhaps I'd be best advised to remove the Norten package and turn WD back on.

4. Again, referring to only the last 3 digits ( retrieved in the same method as used to get the numbers quiried yesterday):
    872 - 7/10
    850 - 7/10
    201 - 7/10
    072 - 6/11
    280 - 7/10
    008 - 7/10
    5. I copied the address (http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/) then I opened MSIE11 and pasted the address into the address bar. The result is what I pasted into yesterday's message. Here is a repeat: (gotten by pressing "Print Screen" then pasting that into Paint.Net, cropping and then saving): (14,0,0,145)

If you want something else other than this I'm not certain what I'm doing wrong in getting it.

6. No, 8.1 only. Wish I could dual-boot but HP doesn't support that configuration. To a large extent that's what started this entire uproar.
    7a. Yes, MalwareBytes has detected and removed items, even items from MSDN (embedded in zip files). I try to run it at least 2-3 times a week in addition to it's schedule.

7b. MBAM "free." It was what HP installed when we re-installed W8.0. HP told me that their free package was the same as their professional package. If I had any Questions or uncertainties I should download (scan), unload and load the new version, then scan again.

*------

I note that there are updates from MS waiting to be installed. Am I safe in going ahead and installing those updates or should I wait until after we get this mess cleaned up?

David Schrader

Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:18 AM
  • Thanks for the added alternative for adding to the Favorites. :o)

David

(No reply is expected, required, or needed.)

Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Note that you had Flash Player v14.0.0.125 installed on 10 July and have v14.0.145 installed now (since you must have installed KB2974008 after your 10 July reply above).

I'm concerned about the "updates waiting to be installed," those pop-ups, and the Norton free-trial. Let's tackle them in order:

1. Based on your last reply, you already have the most-recent security-related updates installed. Chances are the others are optional, non-security updates. [Note that Important updates are not necessarily security-related.] That being said, see if your desired updates will successfully install.

2. Reply to this post and tell me the KB numbers of the successfully-installed updates as well as any update(s) that failed to install & the error number(s) associated with the failure(s).

3. If you can find it, please copy/paste a copy of your most-recent MBAM Scan log (i.e., one which shows items detected & removed) into your next reply, as well.

To access logs from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0:

• Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0
    • Click History > Application Logs
    • Double-click the log you would like to open.

Note: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. When it comes time to remove the free-trialware, I'll give you instructions on how to fully-remove all traces of it so just hang in there. Do NOT attempt to remove or replace the Norton free-trialware just yet!

Saturday, July 12, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Reply 1:

Because the size of the items you requested I am going to have to post my response to your message into parts. The first part will contain two image files. The first will be a report of all items installed using the option at top of the "Windows Update" page. The second image will be all of the items listed using the option at the bottom of the "Windows Update" page.
    The second message will contain two images from the Malwarebytes package. The first will be the results of the scan I ran today. The second image will be the historical report you requested.

I note that only those associated with Visual Studio failed to install successfully (as you will see). You requested that I include any error codes reported as a result of the failure. I'm not sure where to find that information. If you can tell it where to find this I will be happy to provide it for you.

With reference to those items which were "Waiting," they went ahead and installed (apparently successfully). (Although I I might note there is one waiting today which will I presume will install later.)
    The Malware bytes "History" requested follows in the next message.

Norton utilities is dunning me with warnings about it expiring within the next few days - five or six. I know you indicated that you would provide comprehensive information on removing it completely in such a way that no traces would be left. In accord with your suggestion "not just yet"I will desist in removing it just yet. On the other hand, would you advice removing it and activating MS's WD instead?

The two images of the installations follow:

David

(See next message for Malwarebytes report)

• Edited by dfschrader0 Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:09 PM Image not included
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:07 PM
  • Reply 2:

MalwareBytes Report:

Today's scan ---

Malware "Historical report:

Hope this suffices. If you want/need more I'll be happy to provide what I can. (Note the items which were found in the items I downloaded from MSDN site.)

David

P.S. I note that despite the updates, I haven't seen any apparent change in the behavior of using the "Add to Favorites" option. There is still the delay, followed by the blacking of the screen, followed by another delay of undeterminable length after which the (prior screen is restored and the where do you want to place the URL query is displayed.  David

Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:19 PM
  • (May I call you Robear)?

As for the screenshots, if I take them into either Microsoft paint or paint.net I can increase or decrease the size which can make them somewhat legible.

Is there some other means whereby I can generate a list without going to Windows update inside of control panels? I would much prefer a cleaner method -  a package which produced a list which could be posted. Are you aware of such a package?
    No I did not choose to install Bing. Unfortunately OS 8.1 would not install until Bing had been installed.

I will follow your suggestion on hiding Visual Studio. Otherwise there were no updates installed which failed.

I assume that you received the MBAM image which showed the information you wanted/needed - those which had been removed (quarantined) by MalwareBytes. If you didn't, please let me know and I'll send it again.

Also, the base message of this whole series is getting quite cumbersome. Should we consider starting anew with a shorter base?

David

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:20 PM
  • [Your screenshots are pretty much useless here.]

ACTIONS:

[You will want to print these instructions (or copy/paste into Notepad) for offline reference. IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP & perform all Steps in one, uninterrupted session! If a Step says to reboot, reboot! ]

1. Delete everything in MBAM's Quarantine.

2. Download/scan with AdwCleaner; have it remove anything found then reboot => http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

3. Download/run the Junkware Removal Tool & reboot => http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

4. Update MBAM's Definitions then run another scan. Have MBAM remove (not Quarantine) anything detected & reboot.

5. Follow-up by scanning with HitmanPro (free trial): http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

6a. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

6b. Uninstall Norton Internet Security & reboot.

6c. Make CERTAIN that Windows Defender & the Windows Firewall are enabled!

7. Right-click on the file you saved in #6a above and select Run as Administrator to run the Norton utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot again.

8. Download/run the appropriate scripts from the following Trusted Source (my colleague IE MVP Kai Schätzl): http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Note => The scripts are good for IE10 & IE11, too.

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below (plus a third that you will NOT use).

9a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to run the script.

9b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to run that script then reboot again.

10. Reset Internet Explorer per the instructions on this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Note => For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

11. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter from start to finish per the instructions on this page => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates [1]

12. Reboot one final time then test Modern (AKA embedded) IE11 & Desktop IE11 functionality.

13. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

=========================================================
    [1] Full Disclosure: Running the Windows Update troubleshooter will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:23 PM
  • In the future, you will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1

You will find Consumer-specific support for Win8.1 in these forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:29 PM
  • You indicate to follow these steps as given.

May I download the files listed *first* before starting the perform the list or do I need to perform that step in sequence too?

David

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:38 PM
  • I'm not certain what this message means.

Does it mean that with the completion of the steps listed in the last message further support (here at least) will be terminated.

Or, is/was this a response to my comment about the length of the message string(s) and that future messages should be sent/added there?

Or ???

David

Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:00 PM
  • May I download the files listed *first* before starting the [ACTIONS]?

Yes.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:23 PM
  • I'm not certain what this message means.

It means that you chose to post about your problem in an inappropriate forum. We'll finish up this thread but in the future, please post in the Consumer-specific forums for assistance => http://answers.microsoft.com

Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:27 PM
  • I've started the process with AdwCleaner. I says it found 2000+ problems and is now asking for me to pay $29.97 to activate it.

Is this going to be the case with all of these packages? I'm retired and can't afford to pay that amount for these programs.

I'm going to let AdwCleaner sit idle until I get your reply.

David

Monday, July 14, 2014 2:47 AM
  •  

[Your screenshots are pretty much useless here.]

You may appreciate more useful viewing from links at full original size, Robear.

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:07 AM
  • After looking into the other sites and stewing all night, I'm exhausted with what you've put me through. I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf but I'm now an old man who W8 has strained beyond my knowledge limits.

MS doesn't seem to care about it's users - only the bottom line. My frustration has me wondering whether you get a cut for recommending all of these "small cost" survival items. As a retired, partially handicapped,  person I no longer can afford even the cheapest product.

Let me ask, can I *safely* jump to step #4 after doing #1. Then #5. Then #6a, #6b and #6c. Then #7 and #8, #9a and #9b, #10, #11, and #12 without loosing all the good which might be accomplished? I know that skipping steps #2 and #3 cuts out important steps but might you be able to recommend some other *free* package or packages which accomplishes the same thing as those which you recommended which have a low price which is still out of my price range?

(By the way, the "adwcleaner" package takes it upon it's self to, without warning when run as you directed, to delete what *it* assumes are trash files - including all those which have the extension of ".log." Not all ".log" files are trash. Some are data files. You might want to warn people in the future so they can back up any ".log" data files before they days, months, or years worth of irreplaceable data.)

Again, thank you for your time and efforts.

David

Monday, July 14, 2014 12:48 PM
  • To the individual who effectively re-posted Robear's comment regarding the worthlessness on having posted the screen-prints:

I may be old and slow, I may be stupid, I admit knowing less (and less, and less) about sophisticated computer technology, but Robear's comment was sufficient to let me know of the value of the screen prints I included. (I didn't know of a method to provide what he wanted.) I wonder if the old saying  "a picture is still worth a 1000 words" is true or not. In my case, I presume it's no longer the case, so..."

David Schrader (an old timer who once knew a little but is loosing what little ground he had, quickly...)

Monday, July 14, 2014 1:13 PM
  • If there was any chastisement, it was not toward you...
    Monday, July 14, 2014 1:35 PM
  • You may appreciate more useful viewing from links at full original size, Robear.

Otherwise available using right-click, Properties, Select all, Copy, Paste, Enter and then... Click (to magnify).   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, July 14, 2014 4:31 PM
    Answerer
  • The legit AdwCleaner is a free utility; no activation or donation required. After running a scan, you must tell the legit AdwCleaner what you wish to delete/remove, per the Usage instructions on this page. [Just downloaded & tested AdwCleaner v3.215 to confirm.] Your already-present infection may have redirected you to a different, malicious download.

The above also applies to the Junkware Removal Tool, MBAM (free version, not the Premium version free-trial) as well as the HitmanPro 30-day free-trial.

It's your computer so feel free to skip any steps. IMHO, doing so probably will NOT fix your problems.

An alternative to my proposed multi-step fix would be doing a Reset (not a Refresh or a Restore). See this page, paying particular attention to the Notes and Warnings => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Should you choose to do a Reset, I would very strongly recommend completing Steps #6 through #12 of the multi-step fix BEFORE installing any updates (including Win8.1).

MS MVPs are volunteers who neither represent nor work for Microsoft. On a more personal note, there are many other disabled, retired, on-a-limited-income folks here.

I have nothing further to add to this discussion. Good luck!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since October 2002

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:33 PM
  • I deeply appreciate everything that you have done to assist me and I apologize most humbly for my alluding to the possibility you might be receiving financial remuneration for recommending particular software packages. It was completely uncalled for and I cannot apologize enough to remove any feelings you may have experienced because of it or any stain I may have cast upon your efforts.

My only excuse is in addition to not feeling well is having been fighting this problem for so long; and in trying to provide you with the information you wanted and not knowing how to do so without using screen prints, and to have received messages - not from you, but from other readers - as to the worthlessness of my efforts.

I realize that there are other disabled, retired, and limited income people who read this forum and I apologize to all of them for any embarrassment I may have cast upon them.

I also extend my apology to all of the other readers of this forum for wasting their time and/or offending them in any way what-so-ever.

In the military there is a policy/tradition that when one is called down for inappropriate actions to reply, "No excuse, sir." Even though I have already given you my excuses, I will say to you and all other to whom I may have offended, "No excuse, sir." I hope you and all others will accept my apology and thanks.

I appreciate even more that you went ahead and expanded on your prior messages within this, which I assume from the last sentence, will be the last you will sending. I am even more grateful that you were kind enough to wish me "good luck." (Except for my inappropriate statement I had hoped we might have ended this odyssey on an almost friendly basis.)

I have downloaded all of the files as you indicated I could. I have them all lined up on my desktop and I am prepared to follow your original instructions as given. I'm still somewhat confused about the finishing process for each of the programs but hope that I will be able to sort them out as I proceed.

I am concerned that these steps might restore my computer to the original OS 8.0 as was referenced in one of the items to which you directed me, and also the remove any software that was not on the computer when it was purchased. If this is what is necessary then I assume I will have no choice.

I am very sorry about your comment that, "in your humble opinion doing so would probably not fix my problem." which suggests that you there is little However this should turn out, I again express my deep thanks for your efforts and service.

As soon as this message is posted, I will be beginning the process you outlined.

David Schrader

Monday, July 14, 2014 10:31 PM
  • David, your screenshots appeared to me to provide exactly what was requested.

And they demonstrated competence.

Possibly beyond the other person's, whose remark suggested inability to view them in their original full size.

I wish you success in getting your computer working right again.  After removing any malware that may be afflicting it, if IE still malfunctions, I have an easy suggestion.  In fact, you might even try this now.  It will only take two or three minutes.

Create a new User Account.  You'll find this option in Control Panel.  Then boot Windows into that User Account.  Check if IE operates correctly there.  If so, you can simply start using the new account, and abandon the old (present) one.  If everything continues good for a few weeks, then the old account can just be deleted.

Sometimes, these malware removal tools can damage a User Account as a side effect of deleting the malware.  Even the best of the best experts cannot know entirely what is inside the NTUSER.DAT registry when something goes wrong.  So it may be most prudent to simply eliminate the corrupted user account and start a new one, than to waste so much time and effort trying to fix it.

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:35 PM
  • Your apology is accepted. Thank you for your kind words. Again, good luck.

PS: I can assure you that you'd find the Consumer-specific forums more user-friendly.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:05 AM
  • http://bknndq.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y2pd4tASSuCVU3DpPLeW007ViwuKaRT9kzhrem10y-F-27WPnBr6dtZTNVjXUmf1spn3Lq0Ey19IBD92MWnPAGoGLi4ORBlEl7H_AuwJ_yvkKA/Robear-originally-said--PleaseDontFeedTheTrolls.png

Your apology is accepted. Thank you for your kind words. Again, good luck.

PS: I can assure you that you'd find the Consumer-specific forums more user-friendly.

I liked the first way better, Robear.  It was particularly apropos considering your callous unjustified and frankly ironic "Useless" remark.  Now would be a good time to make some gesture of apology for it.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:43 AM
  • Thank you for accepting my apology although I don't follow the "Don't feed the trolls." comment.

In order to follow the directions of your original directions which outlines 12 steps for me to hopefully eradicate the problem I was having with microcomputer with the Internet Explorer 11 screen turning black when I tried adding an URL to the favorites list item 13 on the list was to reply with a status report.

This is the status report:
    1a. I performed all of the steps as listed without difficulty until I reached item 11. On item 11 I was given two options, a) Windows Update, and b) background intelligent transfer service. It was necessary for me to run package twice once for each of these items because I was unable to find the means of returning to the main menu. Each of them found errors and indicated that they had been fixed. I cannot verify the validity of either of these two items.

1b. Because there was an "Advanced" option it was necessary to run the package a third time which provided another option for finding and fixing options with Windows update.

2. Item 12 was to reboot and test Internet Explorer 11's functionality. Unfortunately all the efforts we have tried did not resolve the problem. Trying to add an item to the favorites list still resulted in the Internet Explorer screen turning black. There was no apparent change.

3. I might note that while checking on the notification area I discovered that the Norton Internet security option was still displayed in that area. Despite the fact that in step six a I removed the software and then using the Norton removal tool from Symantec this item was not removed. I wonder if perhaps Symantec might have missed this item.
    4. Windows Defender appears to be running smoothly and did not find any issues using the quick scan. I am going to start a full scan using WD after I finish posting this message. Once started, I shall retire for the night.

Again, I appreciate your time and efforts.

David Schrader

No further ahead but I've learned a great deal. (And, no, I won't feed any trolls.)

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:59 AM
  • I'm not certain of this message. I felt most of Robear comments quite accurate and justified.

David Schrader

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:01 AM