none
SteadyState for Windows 7? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I don't know if this has been asked yet, but is there any likelyhood of seeing steadystate available for windows 7, i like the idea that it is manageble by Group Policy etc, a feature lacking with guestmode/pc safeguard, i'd like to skip 'vista' and move our clients straight from xp to 7, in the event that steadystate is not available, might have to look at something like deepfreeze?

Monday, December 28, 2009 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi, I would like to inform you that at present, Windows SteadyState does NOT Support Windows 7, and there are no current plans to do so.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Sean, any ideas why not? it doesnt make sense that ms would release a (good & useful!) product that works with xp/vista and then remove it from 7, when 7 is really just vista with a few more bells and whistles, although due to how much better it performs than vista, skipping out vista is going to happen anyway when I come to re-image, I guess i'll have to look at deepfreeze and other 3rd party products .. seems such a waste when clearly the right product (steadystate) is out there, just some stupbourness from some department in ms is stopping its availability on 7, unless there are some technical reasons?

Mike
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:01 AM
  • sean, your tone is very aggressive, I am merely asking a question, and your simply coming back with stock answers, I thought the purpose of forums was for discussions? your answers are like that of a stuck record, is there anybody on these forums who works in a different department than sean, who may be able to shed some more light on steadystate or of any news on any incarnation that may appear for 7, something similar to steadstate with the Active Directory GPO support?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Sorry Mike, if my tone sounds a bit aggressive (I know that everyone in the forum eager to see a Windows 7 compatible version of SteadyState, including myself). However, I still haven't received any official update from our develop team on supporting Windows 7 and I'm not able to tell why, sorry again.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:19 AM