none
Unable to use most of the Project server webparts in Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Project Server 2013 was installed and setup and the service has been created. Then created the project web app site collection. However when trying to insert any project server related webpart on the newly created site collection, i see an error that reads as below. Tried adding Project Center, Project details etc and none of the webparts work

"Could not connect to Project Server. This could be because there is no Project Server specified for this site. Contact your server administrator to set a default Project Server URL for the "Project Details" web part. If you have manually changed the Project Server URL for this web part, please remove the web part and add it to the page again from the web part catalog."

The error shows up even before i can modify the webpart and fill the 'Project Web App' URL field. I am not trying to use the webparts on a different site collection. It is within the same site collection as PWA and logged in as farm admin account. Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:51 PM

All replies

• Which site within PWA are you adding these to?  There used to be a trick that you had to add the Timesheet Webpart first....and then other Webparts, but that only applied to other site collections.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:08 AM
  • Hi Andrew

I am trying to add the webparts to the PWA site collection itself.  Also created sub sites within this site collection and tried adding there but that didnt work either. I just now tried adding the timesheet webpart and that is giving the same error as above immediately after adding the webpart to the page. It does seem like there is something else causing these issues but i am unable to figure what that might be 

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Some of the web parts have been designed to only work in the context of a project and in a Project Detail Page (PDP) container. You'd have to provide more details about the specific web parts you're trying to use and how / where you're adding them to further diagnose.

www.umt.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi Catalin

I literally tried every single web part that gets listed under Project Server webparts category including issues, tasks, timesheets, status etc. and none of them work. Also another related issue is i was not able to create the project server site from Central Admin because the farm admin account was not resolving in the people picker admin account field when trying to provision the PWA using project service appln. It had to be created via powershell script. Dont know if it has anything to do with the issue but wanted to point out anyway.

Please let me know if i can provide any further info

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:33 PM