Error Event ID 6008 is logged even though the system is shut down normally. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell XPS 8300 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.  I generally shut the system down at the end of each day by clicking on the Windows icon at the lower left corner, clicking on the "Shut down" button, and waiting until the system has shut down before turning off the power.  Ever since the computer was new 11 months ago, Event ID 6008, "system shutdown was unexpected," has been intermittently entered in the System Log.  I noticed that there is a hotfix available for this problem for Windows 2000, but I can't find anything comparable for Windows 7.  Can someone please tell me how to make this go away?
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:55 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the long delay in responding, Vincent.  I disabled all the non-Microsoft shell extensions, and then tried shutting down the computer.  I did it twice, and both times, there was no 6008 error generated when I booted back up.  I was going to try once more and then start re-enabling each of the shell extensions to see which one was the culprit.  But on the third try, when I tried to boot up, the machine froze on the "Starting Windows" screen.  I held the power button in until it shut down, and then tried again.  The start-up failure repair tool was unable to fix the problem without using System Restore to restore the system back to what it was a few days before.  Then the system booted up successfully, but there were all kinds of crazy errors.  I ran System File Checker again, and it was unable to verify a large number of system files.  I guess there must have been some widespread corruption of files.  So I had to restore the system back to when it left the factory, and I've spent all my time since then restoring my backed-up files and reinstalling my applications.  But the good news is that after that restore-to-factory, there have been no more 6008 errors.  A painful way to fix the problem, but it is fixed (at least for now).

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

• Marked as answer by cfrevier Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:23 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to verify whether this issue occurred recently. Have you installed the drivers or software before this issue happened?

Meanwhile, please try to test the issue in Clean Boot mode and Safe Mode to check the result.

In addition, update the drivers and use System File Checker tool to scan the system files.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 19, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Thank you for the response, Vincent.  I have recently started just leaving the computer on, and letting it go into sleep mode, for a week or two at a time to avoid this issue.  So the last occurrence of the 6008 error was on Nov. 11, 2012.  The first was on May 8, 2012, after the initial start of the computer on May 5, and in between there were 71 other occurrences.  As a rough guess, I would say I've had the error logged on 70%-80% of all shutdowns.  But this is NOT an issue that only started after the installation of a new driver or new software.

I have booted in Safe Mode--Minimal 4 times, and in Safe Mode--Network 2 times, and none of the shutdowns from these boots ever generated the 6008 error.

However, when I tried a Clean Boot, the shutdown DID generate the 6008 error.  Does this imply that the problem is with a Windows 7 service?

As far as I know, all of my drivers are up to date.

When I ran System File Checker, the response was that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."  No components were repaired or reported to be unrepairable.

I have posted my System log file to my Sky Drive at http://sdrv.ms/UGG2UZ  and my Application log at http://sdrv.ms/URzza6

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

Since the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, you can manually disable the programs or use ShellExView to disable all third-party plug-ins in Normal Mode

1) Please download ShellExView for x64-bit system.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2) Extract the download file and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3) Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4) Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5) Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Sorry for the long delay in responding, Vincent.  I disabled all the non-Microsoft shell extensions, and then tried shutting down the computer.  I did it twice, and both times, there was no 6008 error generated when I booted back up.  I was going to try once more and then start re-enabling each of the shell extensions to see which one was the culprit.  But on the third try, when I tried to boot up, the machine froze on the "Starting Windows" screen.  I held the power button in until it shut down, and then tried again.  The start-up failure repair tool was unable to fix the problem without using System Restore to restore the system back to what it was a few days before.  Then the system booted up successfully, but there were all kinds of crazy errors.  I ran System File Checker again, and it was unable to verify a large number of system files.  I guess there must have been some widespread corruption of files.  So I had to restore the system back to when it left the factory, and I've spent all my time since then restoring my backed-up files and reinstalling my applications.  But the good news is that after that restore-to-factory, there have been no more 6008 errors.  A painful way to fix the problem, but it is fixed (at least for now).

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

• Marked as answer by cfrevier Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:23 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear this issue has been solved. Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Monday, December 3, 2012 1:51 AM