none
Unable to install module StorageDSC - no valid module found RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the StorageDSC dsc module on my system and it's the only module that's giving me a "no valid module file was found in any module directory".

Just for a bit of background; I work in an environment where internet access is not directly available to machines in my team so PowerShell nupkgs need to be downloaded and installed manually. To acheive this I've configured a PSRepository on a network share and configured it in PowerShell. 

With typical packages, I can download the file, stick it in the file share, run install-module <DSCModule> and it runs fine. Get-DSCresource after that shows the resources according to the new module - happy days. 

That is, except for the StorageDSC. I've tried both 4.4.0.0 and 4.5.0.0 and I still can't get the bloody thing in. The error message is:

import-module : The specified module 'storageDSC' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module
    directory.
    At line:1 char:1
    + import-module storageDSC
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (storageDSC:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

I've been able to install Experimental (x) dsc's as well as the SQLServerDSC (and build MOF files successfully).

I've also had a look at the $env:PSModulePath and there's no double-ups or anything like that. 

Has anyone else faced this problem and been able to conquer it? 

Thursday, February 21, 2019 5:29 AM

Answers

• For some reason this module wouldn't install unless I used the format:

find-module Storagedsc -Repository <RepoName> | install-module 

Only one I've had to do this way - but it's in now and working so hopefully this doesn't hold anyone else up too much.
    • Marked as answer by Pabalicious Friday, February 22, 2019 2:00 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2019 2:00 AM

All replies

• For some reason this module wouldn't install unless I used the format:

find-module Storagedsc -Repository <RepoName> | install-module 

Only one I've had to do this way - but it's in now and working so hopefully this doesn't hold anyone else up too much.
    • Marked as answer by Pabalicious Friday, February 22, 2019 2:00 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2019 2:00 AM
  • You have not set your default repository and accepted it.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, February 22, 2019 2:03 AM