Virtual disk full - Error moving temporary settings file RRS feed

• Question

• I’m trying to virtualize an application with Softgrid 4.5. I’m working with a client in standalone mode configured with a cache 6GB.

During the use of this application I need to copy files from cdrom inside the virtual disk Q:

I’m trying to copy 250MB, but this copy fail after 130MB.

Opening a cmd window inside the virtual environnement, the copy fail with the message “Not enough disk space”, but the command “dir” tell me there is 6GB disk space free on the virtual disk Q:, and 30GB on the disk C:

The size of my application is about 20MB, and during my test it was unique virtualized package i have installed.

What’a going wrong ??

The computer management (and the sftlog.txt) says me
    "Error moving temporary settings file (C:\users\Currentuser\local\Q$_Analyse_SoftgridUserSettings_settings.cp.temp"

If someone have an idea….

thanks

Monday, July 6, 2009 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Support Premier Microsoft has discovered a bug that is causing the size limit 130 Mb on the usrvol file.
    It will be fix in App-V 4.6, but the limit will be still 2GB.

Due to the daily update of data, size will increase rapidely, so App-V canot be used for virtualize this folders.

In my case I have very simply resolved the problem.
    My problem was that the customer doesn't want data folder directly under drive C:

So I'm using junction with the command 
    mklink /J C:\WINJOUR "C:\Program Data\WINJOUR"

This junction can be placed in hidden mode for users in a command prompt:
    attrib /L +H C:\WSINANA

It works fine ^^

Regards

• Marked as answer by phbt Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

How much space is available on the C: drive?

/Znack
    Monday, July 6, 2009 1:43 PM
  • I have 30GB free on disk C:
    Monday, July 6, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Hello,

Yeah, missed that :)

The error message says that the file containg all users settings placed in the local-settings directory is having issues beeing saved to the %APPDATA%\softgrid client directory (if that is your path for user settings).
    (it actively works against the local settings folder and copies the file to the user data directory when done..)

Have you checked permissions or moved this somewhere else?

/Znack
    Monday, July 6, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Hello,

I have checked permissions on the roaming folder : everyone have full control ^^

So I have modify the key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\UserInfo
    to a new folder with everyone in full control : DataDirectory="C:\workspace\SoftGridClient"

I can see a file C:\workspace\SoftGridClient\ANALYSE-xxxxxx-yyyy-zzz\UsrVol_sftfs_v1.pkg which is created when i quit the application.
    This file is about 130MB.
    But I have already the same problem :

[07/08/2009 04:11:21:473 ???? ERR] {tid=ECC:usr=Administrator}
    Error ( 112 ) moving temporary settings file ( C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Q$_ANALYSE_SoftGridUserSettings_settings.cp.temp )

Is there a parameter inside the Softgrid project defining a maximum size or each virtualized application can grow as needed (according to client cache of course) ?

regards

Monday, July 6, 2009 2:29 PM
  • .... more tests on this problem.

I have made a new package with a small application (notepad++).
    Modifying the osd file, I open a command line inside the virtual environnment and try to make a copy : same problem :(

I go back to the Softgrid 4.2 for same test.
    I copied data, it works fine !
    In this 4.2 version, It seems that there's no temporary file when application run. All data are kept in memory, and the file under
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\SoftGrid Client\. is creating when i quit the application.

The problem is always in progress for me, because i specially need the version 4.5 for this project....
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Hello,

As I stated earlier all active work is done against the local settings folder, not directly to the %APPDATA% path.

Exactly like you describe, meaning that when you quit the application it will close the process and move the settings file.

I can't really say if there is a max-limit in regards to what can and can not stay in the virtual environment, the largest I have used previously is around 40mb.

The file format specification is here;
    http://blogs.technet.com/virtualworld/archive/2009/04/24/application-virtualization-file-format-specification.aspx
    Regarding what files are used can be read around here;
    http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2009/03/26/how-app-v-uses-your-system-drive.aspx

Any chance you might explain why you need to dump 250mb into the virtual-environment? Usually I keep that kind of files outside (in the local settings folder usually...)

/Znack
    • Edited by znack Monday, July 6, 2009 7:25 PM spell-check
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hello,

the application is copying data from a cdrom for visualizing, and make some jobs on it.
    I cannot modify the destination folder, and for this project i need to copy in another directory.

I could use a junction (mklink /J ... ) but my client don't accept this solution, so I'm trying virtualization, but it seems not to be the good way...

regards
    • Edited by phbt Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Let me try to understand this issue little better: are you trying to copy this big file inside the package's directory in Q: drive?

/Kalle

Friday, July 10, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Hello,

Precisely, it’s not one big file, but several files, and effectively this files must be copied to the Q: drive.

Opening a command window inside the virtual environment, I see the following directories:

Directory of Q:\Analyse\VFS

07/07/2009  02:53 PM    <DIR>          .

07/07/2009  02:50 PM    <DIR>          ..

07/07/2009  02:50 PM    <DIR>          CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES

07/07/2009  02:54 PM    <DIR>          CSIDL_SYSTEM

07/08/2009  10:56 PM    <DIR>          WSINJOUR

07/07/2009  02:50 PM    <DIR>          CSIDL_WINDOWS

07/07/2009  02:50 PM    <DIR>          WSINANA

07/07/2009  02:49 PM    <DIR>          WSINAJOUR

07/07/2009  02:50 PM    <DIR>          CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS

07/07/2009  02:50 PM    <DIR>          CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA

The destination directory for the copy is Q:\ Analyse\VFS\WSINJOUR : representing C:\WSINJOUR in the virtual file system.

On this particular project, it's forbidden to create a directory at the root of the disk C: so I must keep this folder in the virtual file system.

regards

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Hello,

From a virtual-perspective (meaning the applications..) I would still want to copy it to c:\wsinjour after the virtual environment is fully loaded.

Perhaps a pre-execution script could instead be replaced via a VBS-file that will copy then subsequently launcht the application?

Of course, the CD or what it is needs to be available all the time (I suppose this is dynamic data changed every day/hour/minute?, anything else I would just sequence it from the beginning) and well - from a management perspective that seems really odd.

Things to investigate could be to try it without the AV on etc.

/Znack
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:29 AM
  • Hello,

Support Premier Microsoft has discovered a bug that is causing the size limit 130 Mb on the usrvol file.
    It will be fix in App-V 4.6, but the limit will be still 2GB.

Due to the daily update of data, size will increase rapidely, so App-V canot be used for virtualize this folders.

In my case I have very simply resolved the problem.
    My problem was that the customer doesn't want data folder directly under drive C:

So I'm using junction with the command 
    mklink /J C:\WINJOUR "C:\Program Data\WINJOUR"

This junction can be placed in hidden mode for users in a command prompt:
    attrib /L +H C:\WSINANA

It works fine ^^

Regards

• Marked as answer by phbt Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:22 AM
  • You win the prize for bug of the week! 

You certainly don't want that much stuff going into the user PKG anyway.  In addition to the solution you posted, it might be possible to solve by manually editing the mapping directly on the Virtual Files Systems tab of the sequencer.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Anyone know if this bug fix is a part of sp1?  We have cu1 and are experiencing the same issue.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:23 PM