none
VSS Error backing up SQL2008 r2 DBs RRS feed

• Question

• We're backing up a number of SQL 2008 r2 databases with DPM2010.  In the same protection group, we're backing some user folders and the system state.  This protection group has been working well for a number or months.

The group is now throwing the following error:

Triggering synchronization on ServerName\SQL_DB failed:
    Error 30111: The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation.
    Error details: VssError:The specified object was not found.
     (0x80042308)
    Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS service and the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors associated with these services in the Application Event Log on the server fnd-vs04.ad.wsu.edu. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself and then retry the operation.
    For more information on this error, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.

This error is the same for all DB's.  The folders and system state are backing up normally.

All of the services that are recommended to check are active.  VSS is in a stable state.  DPM is backing up non-SQL data on the same server and the same protection group.  SCCM is one of the DB's and it's working just fine.  A test version of SP2010 has it's DB's on this server and is working normally.  The only thing that appears to not be working is the SQL Backups.  SQL backups on other servers in a different protection group are backing up normally via DPM.

Any suggestions on how to get our SQL backups running again?

Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From an administrative command prompt, run: vssadmin list writers

Check to see if the output lists the SQL writer. If the list writers output does not show the SQL Writer, then make sure the SQL writer service is running - try restarting it. If it is running look for any SQL dabases with leading or trailing spaces.  You can also run diskshadow.exe - then "list writers" command to get a list of databases that it is responsible for assuming the writer is listed at all.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

We just ran into this issue after some databases were migrated from an older SQL server to our SQL 2008 R2 cluster.  It appears that two databases had trailing spaces in their names.  The problem is that even after dropping/renaming/re-adding the databases, our DEV instance still causes DPM backup failures due to the SQL Writer. 

This is a 2-node cluster with 4 instances.  The other 3 instances will backup fine as long as they are not on the same node as the DEV instance.  If I flip the instances on the nodes the 3 will still backup, so it does not appear to be a problem on the nodes themselves. 

Permissions look OK -- any ideas on how to fix the issue? 

edit:  it turns out there was still a trailing space in one of the dbnames.  The mdf/ldf's were renamed to remove the spaces but unfortunately someone forgot to rename the actual database.  Problem solved. 
    Monday, July 25, 2011 12:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Check to see if the output lists the SQL writer. If the list writers output does not show the SQL Writer, then make sure the SQL writer service is running - try restarting it. If it is running look for any SQL dabases with leading or trailing spaces.  You can also run diskshadow.exe - then "list writers" command to get a list of databases that it is responsible for assuming the writer is listed at all.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Hi Mike.  Thanks for the response.  On the protected server:

• List Writers does not show the SQL Writer (SqlServerWriter). 
    • Within Services, the SQL Server VSS Writer is set to Automatic and is started.  Restarting does not resolve the DPM failures for SQL backups.
    • Diskshadow does not show the SQL Writer.

Brian

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

OK - that is the source of why DPM is not able to see the DB's to protect.

Since the writer is missing - try adding the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account to the sysadmin role in SQL, then restart the writer.

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Thanks Mike,  adding the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account to the sysadmin role in SQL, then restarting the SQL Writer seems to have done the trick.  The backups are no longer failing.

A follow up question:  It doesn't look like NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM being a member of the sysadmin role had been previously set.  Why would this now be required?  I looked at a different set of SQL2005 DBs that are backing up normally.  They do not have NT Authority\System listed in the sysadmin role.

Brian

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Hi,

There must be other default permissions in place that give the same privilage, and when that other default permission is removed, the workaround is to add the above permission manually. 

Monday, July 18, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

We just ran into this issue after some databases were migrated from an older SQL server to our SQL 2008 R2 cluster.  It appears that two databases had trailing spaces in their names.  The problem is that even after dropping/renaming/re-adding the databases, our DEV instance still causes DPM backup failures due to the SQL Writer. 

This is a 2-node cluster with 4 instances.  The other 3 instances will backup fine as long as they are not on the same node as the DEV instance.  If I flip the instances on the nodes the 3 will still backup, so it does not appear to be a problem on the nodes themselves. 

Permissions look OK -- any ideas on how to fix the issue? 

edit:  it turns out there was still a trailing space in one of the dbnames.  The mdf/ldf's were renamed to remove the spaces but unfortunately someone forgot to rename the actual database.  Problem solved. 
    Monday, July 25, 2011 12:22 AM
  • HI,

I facing the same problem; backup of SQL 2008 DBs are not happening. I checked NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account is already there in sysadmin role. now how can I get back SQL writer working. It is showing services console but not listed in VSSadmin list writers.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Arun

Saturday, May 17, 2014 2:38 AM
  • Hi  Arun,

If ANY of databases names has trailing or leading space will cause SQLWriter to not list. See the output of query:

use master
    Select '#'+name+'#' from sysdatabases

This will give us an output of all databases with a trailing & leading # sign. This will make it readable for us if there are any spaces.

See the following article for more troubleshooting details:

SQL Server 2005 connectivity and Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Afternoon,

I am currently experiencing the exact same problem. I have databases on a SQL 2008 which have been backing up just fine for years and suddenly I have 63 errors and cant get rid of them. I have ran the query above. I have no DB's with leading or trailing edges. I have verified the SqlServerWriter is available. I have also ran the stop and start for the Sql Server Writer in the DPM 2012 Server.

I have verified the NT Authority\System is in the Admin Role. After the verification I removed the existing NT Authority\System and re-added which made no difference.

Any Help on this would be greatly appreciated

Steve James

Sys Admin

Yale University School of Management

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:50 PM