Deployment of updates during maintenance windows RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me which check will start the installation of windows updates, when a server reaches the start of a maintenance window, and how often this check is done?

I just want to make sure 1,5 hour maint. window is enough to install tonights updates when the clients start to ask for "when can I install and reboot"

Even better would be if you have a link to an explanation to the windows update downloadning and installation process

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hey Cesar,

The computer will know whether or not a update is needed before the maintenance windows is reached. You can really think of a maintenance windows as when can the update be install and when can reboots happen. The update will be downloaded before the maintenance windows is reached (If the deployment is mandatory). So once a computer reached it's maintenance windows it will determine how many updates can be installed based on the maximun run time for each update and how long the maintenance window is (It will also add 15 minutes for possible reboot time). So your mainenance windows is 90 minutes by default in ConfigMgr 2012 the max runtime is 10 minutes per update 60 per sevice pack. So taking the 15 minute time for possiable reboot you should be able to install 7 updates (70 minutes) during a 90 minute maintenance windows.

Hope this helps for info about MW is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh508762.aspx

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hey Cesar,

The computer will know whether or not a update is needed before the maintenance windows is reached. You can really think of a maintenance windows as when can the update be install and when can reboots happen. The update will be downloaded before the maintenance windows is reached (If the deployment is mandatory). So once a computer reached it's maintenance windows it will determine how many updates can be installed based on the maximun run time for each update and how long the maintenance window is (It will also add 15 minutes for possible reboot time). So your mainenance windows is 90 minutes by default in ConfigMgr 2012 the max runtime is 10 minutes per update 60 per sevice pack. So taking the 15 minute time for possiable reboot you should be able to install 7 updates (70 minutes) during a 90 minute maintenance windows.

Hope this helps for info about MW is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh508762.aspx

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Helps a lot! Makes me able to understand a little bit more about the process. Thx. But really, I did not get the answer I was looking for, maybe I need to refrase the question:

How can I make sure all my servers (100+) will know in time they've reached the maintenance window, to install a maximum of 7 updates in the 90 mins I have given the MW? I would prefer all of my servers to start installing at midnight, not 12:40 or 1 AM.

Freddy

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Did you click the link? This describes how to set maintenance windows on a collection. So you would create a collection containing servers then set a maintenance windows on that collection. The sccm client will automatically detect the new maintenance windows and updates will be installed at the beginning of the maintenance window.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Yes, I read the article. Doesnt say anything about which action looks for the maintenance window start time. Sorry, I should have specified I was looking for the action that checks for the time to start.

How often does the SCCM client check for maintenance windows? Let's say I've changed it, the client needs to check somehow for this change.

Freddy

Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:06 PM
  • The SCCM client checks for maintenance windows start time. view ServiceWindowsManager.log for more information on how this is evalutated. The client received maintenance windows information during it's machien policy refresh (By default this is every 60 minutes)....

Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Thx!

This means that the SCCM client knows hours in advance that, for example, at 12 AM friday night, it can start installing a certain number of updates? I'm worried it checks inside the maintenance window, and it sees at first then, that it can install.

You explained the number in your first answer :)

Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:53 PM