A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to repair a friends XP based computer that presents this error on boot. I've taken the following actions.

1. Imaged the drive to a different disk.

2. Tried a different platform

3. Used Recovery Console tools FixBoot, FixMBR, ChkDsk /r (fixMBr reports

4. Scanned disk for root kits w/ AVG recovery tool.

5. Installed a second instance of the OS

Yet the error persists

This would seem a software or undiscovered rootkit issue ... ???

.. any ideas what to attempt next?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:22 PM

Answers

• Have you tried installing XP on a completely clean uninitialized HDD in the system to see if you get the same results?

A component failure on the motherboard can give you the same error message.

If it is a rootkit issue, then you need to check thoroughly for rootkit malware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:46 PM

All replies

• Have you tried installing XP on a completely clean uninitialized HDD in the system to see if you get the same results?

A component failure on the motherboard can give you the same error message.

If it is a rootkit issue, then you need to check thoroughly for rootkit malware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:46 PM
  • THX Rick .. the platform boots Win7 fine ..

FixMBR returns .. "non standard mbr" .. I'm thinking its a rootkit .. just need to find the tool to deal w/ it ..

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:59 PM