none
2012 R2 RU1 agents appear unknown to 2012 R2 RU4 servers RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of consolidating 3 DPM servers that are running out of space into one new server. to do this I setup a new DPM 2012 R2 server and applied the latest updates, thus receiving rollup 4. Now I am in the process of migrating my agents to this new server. All of my agents range from 2012 R2 RTM to 2012 R2 RU3. RU1 to RU3 agents show this error after being attached to my new RU4 server (RTM version agents attach just fine):

Data Protection Manager Error ID: 307

The protection agent operation failed because DPM detected an unknown DPM protection agent on [server name].

Is this the normal expected behavior when attaching older 2012 R2 agents to an RU4 server?

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes - because this clean install of DPM does not have agent update records for previous updates (UR1 - UR3) that were never applied to this server. Best course of action will be to get all the protected servers updated to the UR4 agent.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:59 PM
  • So, instead of reloading I just tried loading rollup 1 on top of my rollup 4 install, and it worked!  Now I can protect my existing agent machines and update the agents as I have the opportunity.  Thank you again for the good information Mike.
    • Marked as answer by Craig Owings Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes - because this clean install of DPM does not have agent update records for previous updates (UR1 - UR3) that were never applied to this server. Best course of action will be to get all the protected servers updated to the UR4 agent.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:59 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response Mike.

That make sense.  I'm thinking about a different solution.  I would like to update all my agents, but the project scope will make that very difficult in the time frame I have. Reboot windows are hard to get.  I am thinking maybe reloading my new DPM server and load the rollups in order so I have update records for the previous updates?  maybe worth a try?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:43 PM
  • So, instead of reloading I just tried loading rollup 1 on top of my rollup 4 install, and it worked!  Now I can protect my existing agent machines and update the agents as I have the opportunity.  Thank you again for the good information Mike.
    • Marked as answer by Craig Owings Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:08 PM