Deploying Windows Phone 8 in the Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As a first batch of phones to replace our aging Blackberries we are deploying Windows Phone 8 in corporate environment. We currently have Windows Intune and will be deploying SCCM to manage these phones. I would like to know who else have deployed WP and any feedback, tips and helpful notes they can share with me. WP at least at the moment seems very consumer oriented and not as manageable as BB. Use will be for e-mail/sharepoint/LOB apps.

Thanks

Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:32 PM

All replies

• One piece of advice is let the user take care of their own Microsoft account on the phone. Don't go into the business of managing MS accounts on your own. Send along instructions to setup the company account. Provided your Exchange auto-discover is running properly, it's as simple as inputting their username and password.
    Monday, January 27, 2014 1:46 AM
  • There will be more Enterprise-centric features coming this year with the Enterprise feature pack:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/07/10/making-windows-phone-an-even-better-choice-for-business.aspx?Redirected=true

As for configuration, you will need to configure the connector role on your SCCM server to plug into Intune. Intune will also need you to modify you Domain's public DNS records. Those are probably the 2 most complicated steps.

Here is how to configure Instune with SCCM: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj884158.aspx

Steps on how to modify your public DNS records will be on the Intune Admin portal page, after you click the "Domain" tab. Let me know if you have any more questions, I would be more than happy to help.

David

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for your responses. Letting users manage the Microsoft accounts is a good one. For now we are precreating them because we want to get the phones out without waiting on the users. But one its in their hands, they can manage the accounts. It would have been better if somehow we could use our federated organizational account rather than a Microsoft account.

The enterprise feature pack sounds promising, especially for EAP-TLS and management options. Hope we don't have to wait too long. Thanks form the links, we currently use Intune but once SCCM is in place we will need to use that as device management authority.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:56 PM
  • Dear PM76,

I think it will be work.
    from my advice, if your company already have server that can suit with Windows Phone, you can  no need purchase the Windows Intune. We know that current are less tutorial for the deployment.
    Maybe you can refer to  this url.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Dear PM76,

I think it will be work.
    from my advice, if your company already have server that can suit with Windows Phone, you can  no need purchase the Windows Intune. We know that current are less tutorial for the deployment.
    Maybe you can refer to  this url.

We already have Intune and thus inherit the SCCM licenses but haven't setup SCCM. We originally purchased Intune to manage some mobile phones of users and to manage PC's at remote locations. But then kind of grown into managing all the phones and desktops/laptops. I hope the new Enteprise pack will give better management for Windows Phones as currently iOS supports a lot of options through profiles for management.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:20 AM