none
Cannot get Task Sequence to work on HP Elitebook 850 G5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Recently the school I work for got some new laptops in and, being the guy in charge of mass image deployment, I've been trying to get our standard task sequence to work on it. I've been trying for a while but can't seem to get it to work. It keeps failing out with the error code "0x00000032" and I've tried accessing the log but even with the customization enabled to allow the console during the task sequence I can't seem to get the console to come up, I've tried just about every key combo that's been suggested but it just won't pop up, so I have no access to log files. I created a new driver package, distributed it and that's the only difference in this computers task sequence and all the others that work just fine. It's always at the Setup Windows and Configuration Manager step that it fails (it won't start the actual Windows install).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are there any known issues with the 850 G5 that might be causing this?

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:27 PM

Answers

• I have finally made the largest milestone of progress that I have been able to muster so far!! After the harrowing adventure of trying to get this UEFI Exclusive system to bend to my dark will, two weeks in the making! I was scouring the forgotten lands of the DHCP Scope Options, desperately claiming and reclaiming options until my fingers bled. Upon finding that option 60 should be named "PXEClient" I fruitlessly endeavored to implement it into the fold and have it to my bidding. After realizing that other options must also be employed that were previously said by some charlatans that they must be excluded, I employed all options in a last battle to reclaim my PXEBoot option... My new machine's health... And above all else... My sanity... After adding this option my machine FINALLY PXE booted and allowed me to select my task sequence!! Victory is on the horizon!!
    Friday, September 28, 2018 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I recommend you examine the smsts.log first.

However depending on what stage of the task sequence you are at the log file will move on you.

Below are the locations the log file will be in depending on the stage you are at.

SCCM 2012 R2: Where is the SMSTS.log located?

Enabling Command Support Console (F8), please refer to the link below:

SCCM 2012 SP1 – Enable Command Support Console in WinPE

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:35 AM
  • I was finally able to get the smsts.log file after some extensive troubleshooting, only to find out that the F-Keys on this particular model are the alternatives on the keyboard and you have to hold down the Fn before pressing them in order to use them *eyeroll*. But here https://ndusbpos-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/richard_drury_ndus_edu/EVVlCA9RX6dMlp3U36Vs6akBmt9Pg3KjCfw1RMPIJQGvMA?e=N6t9gL is the log file. I'm honestly at a loss with this one. I see the error but have no idea how to manage getting it cleared out. A big difference with this machine is that it is using a PCIe M.2 NVMe drive rather than a regular SSD or a SATA M.2 drive, I'm not sure how that would effect the task sequence, although I'm pretty sure it makes a difference.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:18 PM
  • I was able to get the error to clear out but for whatever reason it still just will not accept the image. I've done just about everything I can think of, injected the drivers into the boot image, enabled legacy boot, there is no SATA port on the machine so I can't change SATA to AHCI from RAID, it doesn't make any sense to me. I've read that the 'raserver.exe' error isn't truly a real error and I'm not getting any other error besides that one and it still fails every time. Somebody please help me out with this, or put me out of my misery at least.
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

First the Fn Key thing, is a design change by HP. However, we have requested for a new BIOS which is planned to be released in November so that we would then have the ability to control the state of Fn Key from within the BIOS. Hence, have already planned for updating our BIOS package for G5 series in December. At present, our BIOS packages are not able to set them because of the obvious reason.

Finally, From the logs it seems that its not able to format the drive properly:

Please try as below:

Enable SecureBoot and disable legacy Boot.

Also, ensure UEFI Boot order is selected  and Legacy Boot order is unchecked, and you have your SSD listed as one of the boot devices in the list.

From the smsts log it seems its trying to format the disk as MBR which is used for legacy systems e.g. Win7.

Try using GPT partition style used in UEFI booted systems.

Rest all looks okay in the log.

Note: you might have to do a factory reset of BIOS and BIOS Security settings to be able to set secureboot and UEFI Boot order correctly.

Regards,

Rajneesh

Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:17 PM
  • I have tried that, however, once I put the BIOS into that configuration I can no longer PXE Boot, it's either going way too fast through the PXE Boot prompt and not allowing me enough time to select F12 or it just isn't allowing the PXE Boot at all.
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:15 PM
  • Hi,

In that case you could try, configuring the 3rd Party rom options to configure UEFI network driver to use DHCP settings for Booting.

Also, please ensure that you are using the latest BIOS on the model. I have seen some of them with older BIOS which sometimes is not able to PXE boot when configured for UEFI.

It could also be an issue with the IP Helper (PXE version) implementation at your site, if in use, so you might want to take a look at the configuration of the same to check if the version supports UEFI clients.

To troubleshoot PXE boot part take a look at the SMSPXE.log on the DP or Server where you have the role installed to validate if the client is able to reach DP and get an PXE response as well as advertisement from SCCM.

Regards,

Rajneesh

Friday, September 28, 2018 7:37 AM
  • So I've done what you've requested and I've made some scope option changes to try out something I saw on a few message boards and this is what pops up on my screen now...

>>Start PXE over IPv4
         Station IP address is xxx.xx.x.xxx

Server IP address is xxx.xx.x.xxx
         NBP filename is BSstrap\x86pc\BStrap.0
         NBP filesize is 0 Bytes
         PXE-E10: Server response timeout.

Then the screen goes blank and goes right back to the BIOS. I got rid of option 67 and option 66, at least is grabs an IP address now, so... progress???

Friday, September 28, 2018 2:02 PM
  • I have finally made the largest milestone of progress that I have been able to muster so far!! After the harrowing adventure of trying to get this UEFI Exclusive system to bend to my dark will, two weeks in the making! I was scouring the forgotten lands of the DHCP Scope Options, desperately claiming and reclaiming options until my fingers bled. Upon finding that option 60 should be named "PXEClient" I fruitlessly endeavored to implement it into the fold and have it to my bidding. After realizing that other options must also be employed that were previously said by some charlatans that they must be excluded, I employed all options in a last battle to reclaim my PXEBoot option... My new machine's health... And above all else... My sanity... After adding this option my machine FINALLY PXE booted and allowed me to select my task sequence!! Victory is on the horizon!!
    Friday, September 28, 2018 2:40 PM
  • Hi

Glad to read that you were finally able to fix your problem.

I am summarizing this, as below, for my future reference in case needed,

The answer to the problem is:

Set Option 60 to "PXEClient" instead of your SCCM Server or IP Helper name or IPaddress.

Restart the DHCP Service.

Try PXE Booting with your UEFI Client and you should have your PE Image loading.

Regards,

Rajneesh

Saturday, September 29, 2018 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

smspxe.log records details about the responses to clients that use PXE boot, and details about the expansion of boot images and boot files.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 1, 2018 2:55 AM