none
Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package (KB3032622) breaking NTBackup RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo,

excuse me for my mistakes bu I am not a native English speaker.

I run a Windows 7 Pro sp1 x64 and I use NTBackup.exe to perform my weekly full backup (I know that NTBackup is not meant to be run on Windows 7, but it perfectly fits my needs and it perfectly run until last windows update).

Since last windows update of 10/02/2015, NTbackup fails and in the NTBackup log I find this message: "Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure".

Looking into Windows Event Log/Applications I find 3x error messages related to in VSS, where the only really significant one is "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80004002. 42554543584D4C43333533320000000042554543584D4C433334393400000000".

I spent the last three hours reading about potential NTBackup issues and I think I can exclude those related to VSS itself because:

- the "Volume Shadow Copy" and the "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" services perfecly start, stop and restart

- I can browse previous versions of files being saved (e.g. because of system restore points)

- the "vssadmin list writers" reports all writers being stable and with no errors

I therefore wanted to try and uninstall the KB3032622 but was unable to, since it is not listed in those than can be uninstalled.

Here my questions:

1- Is anybody experiencing my issue?

2- Has anybody been able to solve it?

3- Does anybody know how to uninstall a KB that is not listed as one that can be uninstalled?

4- Has anybody tried to re-install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package? Has it solved the issue?

Thank you for your support

filippo

Monday, February 16, 2015 3:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hallo,

just an update:

I also tried to uninstall the update via command prompt (wusa /uninstall /kb:3032622) but it reports me the KB is not installed.

Thank you for your support.

filippo

Monday, February 16, 2015 4:04 AM
  • Hi PhilHippo,

Since both the UI and the command line didn`t find this KB:3032622.The only explanation is that the KB 3032622 is not installed in your machine .We can exclude the possibility this issue is caused by the KB 3032622.
    To verify whether it has been installed  ,we can manually install it to have a check .If it has been installed ,we will get a notification that the KB has been installed when we try to install it .

Considering the NTbackup is not designed to run in windows 7 ,it may suffer issues though it can run well before .
    As an alternative choice ,we can try to use wbadmin command to perform the backup to have a check .It is used to replace the ntbackup command .
    Here is a link for reference of using wbadmin:
    Wbadmin
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx

Best regards

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:08 AM
  • Hallo MeipoXu,

thank you for your answer, here my follow up:

> Since both the UI and the command line didn`t find this KB:3032622.The only explanation is that the KB 3032622 is not installed in your machine

I am afraid I was not clear enought :-(
    Windows Update GUI does state that the KB:3032622 update has been succesfully installed (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history).
    However, KB:3032622 it is not listed among those that can be uninstalled (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Installed Updates), but there is a warning stating that critical updates cannot be uninstalled.

By the way, the same happens with KB:3001652:
    - It is listed among those successfully installed
    - It is NOT listed among those which can be uninstalled

> To verify whether it has been installed  ,we can manually install it to have a check

As a matter of fact I tried to get my hands on the KB:3032622 package to try and uninstall it via alternative procedures (i.e. wusa or pkgmgr), but I was not able to find a download link for it neither in the KB page (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3032622?wa=wsignin1.0 where it generically forwards to WindowsUpdate to get the package) nor starting from the KB download page (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx).

If you could provide me a link to the KB:3032622 package I could try to remove it.

> Considering the NTbackup is not designed to run in windows 7 ,it may suffer issues though it can run well before .

Yep, you are right.
    As a matter of fact even if I am thinking thr culprit is KB:3032622, it might as well be one of the other 9x Updates/Security Updates installed in the same day, or one of the other 9x Office-related updates.
    Unfortunately I have no restore point to use to try and roll back all of them toghether (do not know why, I had 1,7GB free in the System Restore Options), so I am afraid I will have to try and unistall all of them one-by-one (knowing that at least KB:3032622 and KB:3001652 are not listed among those that can be uninstalled).

> As an alternative choice ,we can try to use wbadmin command to perform the backup

Thanks, I will look at the link you kindly provided me with.
    But I would be far happier if I could sort this out.

Thanks, I hope to read from you soon.

filippo

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:05 PM
  • cf. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/update-for-microsoft-visual-c-2012-update-4/b9662f01-3a3a-46fa-a0bb-44b54a2bf966 (15 Feb-15 &ff)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Hi Philhippo,

"However, KB:3032622 it is not listed among those that can be uninstalled (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Installed Updates), but there is a warning stating that critical updates cannot be uninstalled."

Do you mean it is listed and it states it can be uninstalled when you try to uninstall it or it is not listed here?
    The KB 3032622 is appliced to Visual Studio 2012 ,have you installed the Visual Studio 2012 ?

We also can check the windowsupdate.log for more information of this KB3032622.
    Search "windowsupdate.log" ,Ctrl + F and then input " KB3032622".
    The same to the KB3001652.

Best regards

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:36 AM
  • Hi Robert, Meipo,

again, thanks for your support !

@Robert,
    I read your reply in my other thread on answers.microsoft.com (I apologize for my double posting... I realize it is creating some confusion...).
    As a matter of fact I went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3032622 and noticed the last revision date was changed to 2.0 and 16 February 2015, but I was unable to notice any major difference in the text.
    I just tried a WindowsUpdate to check whether it suggested a new download following the revision, but nothing happened.

@Meipo,
    > Do you mean it is listed and it states it can be uninstalled when you try to uninstall it or it is not listed here?
    Sorry for the confusion: it is NOT listed among those that can be uninstalled (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Installed Updates).
    And KB:3001652 is not listed either among those that can be uninstalled, even if it is listed among those successfully installed.

As regards windowsupdate.log, I skimmed through all the occurrences of KB3032622 to the confirmation of installation, reported hereafter:

2015-02-10 22:53:13:152+0100    1    183    101    {2ACCE4C5-85C5-42BB-ADA8-D4862A226E6D}    202    0    AutomaticUpdates    Success    Content Install    Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package (KB3032622)

And, yes, there is also the confirmation of KB:3001652 having been successfully installed.

Unfortunately until the weekend I cannot try and uninstall all the updates released on 10th February and install them back one by one to check if it actually were KB3032622 the culprit to break NTBackup.

If you have any other hints I will be more than happy to follow them, otherwse will let you know the results of the uninstall and reinstall.

Thank you, again for your support.

filippo

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Hi Filippo

I experienced problems with KB3032622 on one of two Vista Home Premium LapTops I support.

I found you could download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679.

When I ran this download it offers choices to Repair or Uninstall. In my case I Repaired.

This may offer you a quicker way to resolve your problem.

SaabDiver

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Hallo SaabDiver, All,

thank you for your suggestion, I am glad to know that you were able to solve your issue.
    I hoped I could as well but unluckily not.

I tried in multiple ways, but NTBackup/VSS kept on reporting Catastrofic failures

Here is, in detail, what I tried with Visual C++ 2012 Update 4, please note that:
    a- I performed a reboot after every installation/uninstallation (just to be sure...)
    b- I always repaired/uninstalled/reinstalled both x86 and x64

1- Repair x64/x86 -> Backup/VSS error

2a- Unistall x64/x86 -> Backup/VSS error
    2b- Windows Update check for update: nothing suggested (ok!!!)

3a- Clean install x64/x86 -> Backup/VSS error
    3b-  Windows Update check for update: nothing suggested (BAD, really BAD !!!)
    What really puzzles me is the fact that even though I uninstalled and reinstalled from Visual C++ 2012 Update 4, Windows Update did not suggest me KB3032622 anymore.
    This could be either because it was already present in the system (and therefore somehow the reinstallation was not plain vanilla but inclusive of KB3032622) or because -as suggested by Robear- KB3032622 has been pulled out by MS and not offered anymore.

As I wrote yesterday, if you have any other hints I will be more than happy to follow them, otherwse I will let you know the results of the uninstallation and reinstallation of all the Updates I will be performing in the weekend.

Thank you, again for your support.

filippo

Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:16 AM
  • Hi PhilHippo,

"1- Repair x64/x86 -> Backup/VSS error
     2a- Unistall x64/x86 -> Backup/VSS error
      2b- Windows Update check for update: nothing suggested (ok!!!)
     3a- Clean install x64/x86 -> Backup/VSS error"

The issue will occur with the KB:3032622 or without it ,right ?
     Now we can rule out the possibility the issue is caused by the KB:3032622.

" hr = 0x80004002" usually means No such interface supported.We can run "sfc /scannow" to check the health of the system .Here is a similar symptom related to the NTbackup tool,we may need to register the VSS system files referring to the following link to have a check .Though it occurred in the Windows Server 2003 server , the register method manually should be useful .
    Various issues may occur on a Windows Server 2003-based computer that is running the Volume Shadow Copy Service
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940032

What is the error messages recorded in the Applications and services logs \Microsoft \Windows \Backup?

Best regards

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:38 AM
  • Hallo Meipo,

thanks again for your support, here following my remarks and results:

> The issue will occur with the KB:3032622 or without it ,right ?
    > Now we can rule out the possibility the issue is caused by the KB:303262

I am afraid I am not able to answer you.
    This because, as I noticed in my previous post:
    >> 3a- Clean install x64/x86 -> Backup/VSS error
    >> 3b-  Windows Update check for update: nothing suggested (BAD, really BAD !!!)
    >> What really puzzles me is the fact that even though I uninstalled and reinstalled from Visual C++ 2012
    >> Update 4, Windows Update did not suggest me KB3032622 anymore.
    >> This could be either because it was already present in the system (and therefore somehow the
    >> reinstallation was not plain vanilla but inclusive of KB3032622) or because -as suggested by Robear- >> KB3032622 has been pulled out by MS and not offered anymore.

I would completely agree with you if WindowsUpdate offered me to reinstall KB:3032622.
    But since it did not, I do not know myself anymore what is the state of my system after having uninstalled and reinstalled Visual C++ 2012 Update 4.
    Does my system have KB:3032622 on board or not? I cannot answer.

I tried the sfc /scannow but no troubles were found

Thank you for the link to the VSS, I had already noticed it but I had not tried and perform the manual registration because of the caveat there described:
    > Starting with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008, Windows component installation is
    > manifest based. If you try to manually register specific components, such as those that are described in
    > this "Resolution" section, in the operating systems that are mentioned in this note, unexpected results
    > may occur that may require reinstalling Windows to resolve.

As regards Application & Security & System & Backup logs, here following:

1- Application Log
    After a reboot (and before I try a backup) there are 4x errors (1x WMI, 2x VSS, 1x Backup), no Warnings and 1x info related to backup.
    Here the sequence after the reboot (the first number occurs first):

1.1- Error    19/02/2015 10:41:30    WMI    10    None
    Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

1.2- Information    19/02/2015 10:42:32    NTBackup    8018    None
    The description for Event ID 8018 from source NTBackup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:

1.3- Error    19/02/2015 10:42:33    VSS    8193    None
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80004002. 42554543584D4C43333533320000000042554543584D4C433334393400000000

1.4-Error    19/02/2015 10:42:33    VSS    5012    None
    The description for Event ID 5012 from source VSS cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    0x80004002
    0x8000ffff
    CoCreateInstance( CLSID_VSSCoordinator, IID_IVssShim)
    the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

1.5-Error    19/02/2015 10:42:33    NTBackup    8019    None
    The description for Event ID 8019 from source NTBackup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    Warnings or errors were encountered.

2- Security
    Nothing significant here

3- System
    1x error, 5x info related to Backup. Again, from reboot onwards:

3.1- Error    19/02/2015 10:42:21    DistributedCOM    10016    None
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
     and APPID
    {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
     to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

My notes here (not form Event Log)
    As from Regedit:
    3.1.1 This is defined as AssociatedDevicePresence Class and the only key is "Local Service" with two values (Default)=IPBusEnum and AppID={344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}

3.2- Information    19/02/2015 10:42:33    Service Control Manager    7036    None
    The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.

3.3-Information    19/02/2015 10:45:33    Service Control Manager    7036    None
    The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the stopped state.

4- Backup Log
    Even if I increase the level of verbosity, the only sentence that gets written here is the following:

Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "pippo created 19/02/2015 at 10:32"
    Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure
    Aborting Backup.
    ----------------------
    The operation did not successfully complete.
    ----------------------

Do you think I should try and manually re-register the VSS components (even if it suggets me not to)?
    Or should first try and de-install as many updates released on February 10th as possible?

Thank you agani

filippo

PS: right now I I googled the COM error, found the answers and going to fix it.
    I'll get back and let you know if it fixed the backup issue

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:26 AM
  • Hallo All,

I worked on the warning/errors in the Logs, as follows:

1.1- Error    19/02/2015 10:41:30    WMI    10    None
    Disregarded.
    This because it is considered "benign" and acknowledged by Microsoft as an error in the setting up of Win DVD/ISO as per https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545227.

3.1- Error    19/02/2015 10:42:21    DistributedCOM    10016    None
    Solved.
    See: http://www.itexperience.net/2010/10/29/event-10016-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-launch-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid-c97fcc79-e628-407d-ae68-a06ad6d8b4d1/

Moreover, while investigated the DCOM issue, I realized my system was also suffering from a permission problem on the COM+ applications tree in dcomcnfg.exe, as aknowledged by Microsoft introduced by the usage of Windows Easy Transfer from a x86 to a x64 system.
    See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2481190

However, no news on the Backup side, still crashing.
    I also tried to stop the antivirus (Bitdefender) but it did not help.

Just to give you some more info, I have 4.59GB reserved for System Protection on the system drive (C:) and 3.58GB used.
    I checked again the availability of "Previous Versions" on C:->Properties->Previous Versions and it was ok.
    I checked again "vssadmin list writers" and it reported all writers being stable and with no errors

filippo

Friday, February 20, 2015 11:39 AM
  • Hi PhilHippo,

Have you tried to use the WBadmin command line to backup ?This will help us to troubleshoot whether this issue is caused by the command or the VSS service ?

If the issue persists with the Wbadmin command line ,we will need to troubleshoot the VSS components .We can register the VSS components to have a check .I have tested the command lines in the link and there are several command lines failling with error "specific component not found "but the others will work well .This may be related to the machines .However ,we can check the existence of these .dll files in our C:\Windows \System32 folder before we register them .
    Someone else have tried these commands in Windows 7 too and the vssui.dll will be not listed .In my case ,it showed the same symptom.
    Here is a link for reference("Jpag4947" post) :
    Windows 7 Backup Failing error code 0x81000037
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7d951c42-4109-4f11-b64a-2462b3f19e75/windows-7-backup-failing-error-code-0x81000037

If the WBadmin works well ,this issue may be caused by the NTbackup command tool.Is it a tool downloaded ?We may need to reinstall the tool to have a check .

If it is possible ,use WBadmin command line instead of NTbackp tool.It is designed to replace the NTbackup tool.

Best regards

Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:15 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

thank you for your follow up and thank you for the suggestion of diagnosing separately backup and VSS, very smart!

Yesterday and today I spent some time in different tries, and hereafter the results:

1- WBAdmin
    I tried and use it, and it works (partially, read later).
    I was able to create a backup and this was reported within the "Previous Versions" tab in (C: -> Properties).
    So it seems to me that VSS WORKS.

However, despite what described in WBAdmin page (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015%28WS.10%29.aspx) AND in WBAdmin command line help (wbadmin start backup /?), on my Win7ProSp1 WBAdmin DOES NOT allow me to choose directories to be backed up ("A partial backup of volumes is not supported on this version of Windows."), DOES NOT allow me to use the -NoInheritAcl switch ("ERROR - One of the parameters or options provided is unexpected: NoInheritAcl. See the syntax below.").

Therefore, at list on my PC, the WBAdmin command is only a "command line version" of the system image GUI (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore\Create a System Image) and therefore quite different from the NTBackup utility and therefore not useful to me :-(

2- NTBACKUP
    The GUI I am using comes from a WinXPsp3 x86 (i.e. 32bit) and here the details
    ntbackup.exe: version 5.1.2600.5512 date 14/04/2008 hh 06.42
    ntmsapi.dll: version 5.1.2400.5512 date 14/04/2008 hh 06.42
    vssapi.dll: version 5.1.2600.5512 date 14/04/2008 hh 06.42
    I tried to re-install from my XPkit but nothing changed, i.e. the backup GUI failed.

Since the VSS subsystem works when invoked by WBAdmin or by System Image, I am more and more convinced the culprit might be the KB:3032622 that changed some entry points called by vssapi.dll.

3- Tries to uninstall and reinstall all the 10/02/2015 updates
    As anticipated I tried to uninstall and reinstall all the 10/02/2015 updates, but -as with KB:3032622 and KB:3001652- I found another one that could not be uninstalled (i.e. listed in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Installed Updates), i.e. KB:890830.
    Anyway, after having uninstalled all updates, I tried to perform a backup and IT FAILED THE SAME WAY.

So, I performed a Windowd Update and re-updated my system to-date.

However, once again, KB:3032622 was NOT REINSTALLED.
    Therefore I think that despite my tries to reinstall the original Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package, the update (i.e. KB:3032622) is still on my system.

Do you have other hints for me?
    Was anybody able to have the KB:3032622 kit, to try and manually uninstall it via wusa?

Thanks again for your support.

filippo

• Edited by PhilHippo Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:43 AM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:42 AM
  • In a reply to your thread in the Consumer-specific forum (where users do not update via WSUS), you told me that KB3032622 was not listed in Installed Updates (not Update History). Is that still the case?

Reposting from that thread:

As far as I know, KB3032622 was "pulled" from the [Windows] update servers roughly five (5) hours after it was released on 10 February 2015. [1]

TIP: If Update History lists an update as a successfully installed update but it's not listed in Installed Update, the latter "wins." As always, there are exceptions to this rule but not in this instance.

=====================================
    [1] WSUS admins had to deal with this in another manner.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:36 PM
  • Was anybody able to have the KB:3032622 kit, to try and manually uninstall it via wusa?

KB3032622, like almost every other product from the MSFT Visual Studio team, does not use WUSA (MSU files), so, WUSA cannot be used to perform uninstallation.

This KB comes in the standard VS output form, which is vcredist.exe.

It *may* be possible to uninstall, but the question might be better in the VS forums on MSDN, since there doesn't seem to be much documentation readily available.

You could check the file versions of the DLLs for MS VC2012 to see if they are the updated version from the patch package, or are older versions (unpatched)?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, February 22, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Hallo Robert, Don,

@Robert,
    I am sorry for the confusion that might have arised from my posting in two different forums.
    Yes, KB3032622 is NOT listed in the Installed Updates.

@Don,
    Thanks for the clarification regarding WUSA.
    As a matter of fact I already tried to extract the files from the unpatched Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package downloaded from (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679) with 7-zip and winrar, to check what is currently in my system, but was unable to.
    I am afraid I need a different tool, but I do not know which one.

Excuse me if these following questions might seem trivial to you, but I am not a programmer:
    1- Do you know any tool I might use to extract the files from vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x86.exe?
    2- How can I see which version of a dll has been registered into my system?
    (I did not see any informative switch in regsvr32 and after googling I only found this http://serverfault.com/questions/576831/how-do-i-know-if-a-dll-is-registered and this https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/206787e7-3a59-4b02-b2d6-eda0a50e1459/check-if-a-dll-is-registered-or-not)

Thanks again

filippo

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Hallo Don,

sorry for this follow up, I forgot to say that obviously I already tried to use vcredist_x64 and vcredist_86 command line switch /layout, both with and without a directory path, but neither of them did "create a complete local copy of the bundle in directory" as stated by the command line switch /?.

If you can understand what it says, I can post the installation log as per switch  /log

filippo

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:52 AM
  • Yes, KB3032622 is NOT listed in the Installed Updates.

Then KB3032622 cannot be the cause of your problem.

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:36 PM
  • Hallo Robear,
    I wish I could be that sure...

As I wrote earlier (see Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:16 AM), I also tried to repair, remove and reinstall the "original" Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package as suggested by SaabDiver (see http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679).
    BUT, after having reinstalled them, windows update did not propose me the installation of KB3032622.
    Therefore, as far as I can understand, either KB3032622 has really been pulled off windows update (as you said) or the update is still present and registered in my PC.

Moreover, as I said, during the weekend I was able to uninstall all the updates released on February 10th (all but three: the aforementioned KB3032622 ,  KB:3001652 and KB:890830) and the backup did not work.
    And when I run a windows update to reinstall them all, once again KB3032622 was not proposed.

I am more than willing to perform other tests to identify the culprit, but now I really haven't got any more clues...

Thank you once again for your interest in my case and for your support.

Monday, February 23, 2015 6:01 PM
  • @Don,
    Thanks for the clarification regarding WUSA.
    As a matter of fact I already tried to extract the files from the unpatched Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package downloaded from (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679) with 7-zip and winrar, to check what is currently in my system, but was unable to.
    I am afraid I need a different tool, but I do not know which one.

Excuse me if these following questions might seem trivial to you, but I am not a programmer:
    1- Do you know any tool I might use to extract the files from vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x86.exe?
    2- How can I see which version of a dll has been registered into my system?
    (I did not see any informative switch in regsvr32 and after googling I only found this http://serverfault.com/questions/576831/how-do-i-know-if-a-dll-is-registered and this https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/206787e7-3a59-4b02-b2d6-eda0a50e1459/check-if-a-dll-is-registered-or-not)

it's ok, I'm not a programmer either :(

a few thoughts;

on my Win8.1-x64 machine, I already had several versions of the msvcr110.dll file, but I looked specifically at

c:\windows\system32\msvcr110.dll and c:\windows\syswow64\msvcr110.dll

(the msvcr110.dll is the "primary" Visual C++ Runtime library for VS2012)

my machine had version 11.0.50727.

I applied the vcredist_x64 from KB3032622. My file versions were updated (as expected) to 11.0.51106.

The logfile in %temp% shows the update was applied.

I also note that this "update" is not recorded in "installed updates", but, it is recorded in "installed programs", but

strangely the version recorded there is instead 11.0.61030.
    (in my experience, vcredist is usually not really an update but is usually an install/reinstall/update package)

Also, since you are really having difficulty with ntbackup from WinXP (dated 2008), and VC++2012 was

only released in 2012, I think it unlikely that there is a direct correlation between the two matters?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Hallo Don,

> on my Win8.1-x64 machine, I already had several versions of the msvcr110.dll file,
    On my machine I only have three copies more, all related to the AMD Radeon graphic card (i.e. in that directory tree branch).

As regards the two you pointed out, here are my versions:
    1- in C:\windows\system     size 850KB date: 05/11/2012 version 11.0.51106.1 belongs to: Visual Studio 2012
    2- in C:\windows\SysWOW64     size 854KB date: 06/11/2012 version 11.0.51106.1 belongs to: Visual Studio 2012

> I also note that this "update" is not recorded in "installed updates", but, it is recorded in "installed
    > "programs", but strangely the version recorded there is instead 11.0.61030.
    The same happens on my machine:
    I have the entries for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) and (x86) and both are version 11.0.61030
    As a matter of fact, if you download Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package from (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679) and check its Properties->Details you will notice that its version is declared as 11.0.61030.

However, I also have among the "installed programs":
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (x64) and (x86) and both are version 10.0.40219
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x64) and (x86) and both are version 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x64) version 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) version 8.0.6100
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) version 8.0.50727.42
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x86) version 8.0.61001
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x86) version 8.0.59193

This really puzzles me.
    Since the machine was built from scratch on last september 04th, 2014 I wonder how come I have all those runtimes.
    The only reason I can find is that they might have been installed while installing some other programs.

> Also, since you are really having difficulty with ntbackup from WinXP (dated 2008), and VC++2012 was
    > only released in 2012, I think it unlikely that there is a direct correlation between the two matters?
    As I said I am not a programmer, however taking some dust off my studies, as far as I can remember every redistributable, while offering new features (i.e. new library entry points) should ensure compatibility with those offered in previous versions (i.e. keeping old libraries entry points).

However, I noticed that Visual C++ 2010 (x64) and (x86) and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) redistributables were updated on 12th February too.

So this evening I can try to:
    1- Download again from Microsoft Site the "original" Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables
    2- Download again from Microsoft Site the "original" Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime
    3- Uninstall those installed on 12th February
    And see what happens with NTbackup.

Thank you Don, you offered me another path to check.
    I'll get back to you tomorrow with the results.

filippo

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:56 AM
  • On my machine I only have three copies more, all related to the AMD Radeon graphic card (i.e. in that directory tree branch).

<...>

However, I also have among the "installed programs":
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (x64) and (x86) and both are version 10.0.40219
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x64) and (x86) and both are version 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x64) version 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) version 8.0.6100
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) version 8.0.50727.42
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x86) version 8.0.61001
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x86) version 8.0.59193

This really puzzles me.
    Since the machine was built from scratch on last september 04th, 2014 I wonder how come I have all those runtimes.
    The only reason I can find is that they might have been installed while installing some other programs.
    <...>

As I said I am not a programmer, however taking some dust off my studies, as far as I can remember every redistributable, while offering new features (i.e. new library entry points) should ensure compatibility with those offered in previous versions (i.e. keeping old libraries entry points).

However, I noticed that Visual C++ 2010 (x64) and (x86) and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) redistributables were updated on 12th February too.

So, it's my understanding that;

: the default Windows behaviour is to seek any necessary dependency files in the current-working-directory (which is one way for developers to feel it necessary to place such files in the same directory as the calling executable. which leads to multiple copies on a machine, and is an old-school-style of such things. so that's probably why the Radeon folder has those files.

:  VC++RT is not at all backwards nor forwards compatible, i.e., if you have an application which was complied with/for VC++2005, only the VC++2005RT is suitable.

: VC++ developers frequently satisfy dependencies by shipping the VC++RT with their applications, and, some hardware drivers/utilities are packaged via VisualStudio installer/bootstrappers which calls for the VC++RT, even if the actual payload of the installer doesn't require VC++RT. So, some computer OEM's have loads of VC++RT in the OEM Windows image. (even some MSFT products have this type of setup.exe requirement instead of using MSI)

: VC++2010RT and also VSTO2010 were both subject to a release-via-WindowsUpdate during February, so that's why those are dated as such. (I manage the update releases for my large organisation, so am quite well acquainted with monthly updating cycle details :)

Don

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hallo Don,
    after having replied to you I googled about VC++ redistributables and...
    I apologize because I should have done it earlier, so I would not have made you waste your time in replying me :-(

Furthermore I have two news...

1- I  CAN NOW MAKE BACKUPS IF I AM NOT USING ADMINISTRATOR O BACKUP OPERATORS PERMISSIONS
    After having uninstalled and reinstalled again the VC++ 2012 update 4 redistributable, to check if they were the same version you have, I tried to perform another backup and, as you read hereabove, I am now able to perform a backup, but only if I do not have administrator or Backup Operators permissions (and therefore I cannot backup System State).

You see, my account is a "standard" one plus Backup Operator permissions.
    When I start ntbackup.exe I usually right-click and choose "run as administrator" and chose my account, so that I can backup my profile AND System State.

I do not know what has changed during the last set of uninstall and reinstall of VC++ 2012 but now I am at least able to perform some kind of backup.
    And this is GOOD

Anyway I have to keep on investigating if I want to be able to backup System State.
    Of course checking the "Run as administrator" flag in NTBackup.exe makes it fail...
    And this is BAD

2- I THINK I WAS ABLE TO FIND SOME EVIDENCE BUT HAVE NOT THE SKILL TO MOVE FORWARD
    While googling about VC++, I stumbled upon a discussion regarding a tool called Dependency Walker (<cite class="_Rm">www.dependencywalker.com)</cite> that is used by programmers to check the reasons why modules fault.
    Despite the fact that the tool is quite old and gives some error because it cannot resolve a few calls (errors to be ignored as per: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17023419/win-7-64-bit-dll-problems) I tried it agains NTbackup.exe, both as standard user and as an Administrator.

Run as "standard user" obviously did not report any error (the backup now works).

Run as "Administration" let me collect a log with faulting modules.
    However, I do not have the skills to move forward, so I am stuck again.
    Hereafter you can find the log part where errors are located (the number on the left side are seconds from the starting of NTBackup).

00:00:29.453: Thread 23 started in "c:\windows\syswow64\MSVCRT.DLL" at address 0x768D12E5.
    00:00:29.500: First chance exception 0xE06D7363 (Microsoft C++ Exception) occurred in "c:\windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.DLL" at address 0x7669C42D by thread 23.
    00:00:29.500: Thread 23 exited with code 0 (0x0).
    00:00:29.500: First chance exception 0xE06D7363 (Microsoft C++ Exception) occurred in "c:\windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.DLL" at address 0x7669C42D by thread 1.
    00:00:29.500: First chance exception 0xE06D7363 (Microsoft C++ Exception) occurred in "c:\windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.DLL" at address 0x7669C42D by thread 1.

An explanation of "First chance execptions" is here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidklinems/archive/2005/07/12/438061.aspx

Now I am afraid I am stuck :-(

Will let you know if I stumble into new ideas

Thank you for all your help so far

filippo

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Hallo everybody, I have more news...

I was able to understand why I was again able to perform some backup...

It really has to do with VSS and with account permissions and, I am afraid, with Visual C++, as originally suggested in : http://www.slickit.ca/2009/07/running-nt-backup-under-windows-7.html?showComment=1271627073299#c5601115690372971864

Please note that in NTBackup when you are about to start the backup there is an Advanced button that will bring you to a Advanced Backup Options window.
    Here there is a checkbox named "Disable volume shadow copy"

So I performed a few tests, launching NTbackup either straightforwardly or by using "Run as Administrator" and using my account with Backup Operators permissions or Administrator.

I also performed a few test trying to backup both "generic files" (non open in an application that therefore do not need VSS) and "System State" (which are mostly files locked by the O.S. therefore must use VSS).

Here following tests and results:
    1- Standard User, generic files
    Disable volume shadow copy: available, did not thick it
    Backup OK

2- Standard User, generic files
    Disable volume shadow copy: available, thicked it
    Backup OK

3- Run as administrator, generic files
    Disable volume shadow copy: available, did not thick it
    Backup KO

4- Run as administrator, generic files
    Disable volume shadow copy: available, thicked it
    Backup OK

5- Run as administrator, generic files + System State
    Disable volume shadow copy: unavailable (greyed out) and unticked
    Backup KO

At the end of the tests it seems to me that the bakup fails only when are involved at the same time Administrator priviledges and VSS.

I checked all the updates released on 10th February for any info on VSS and permissions.
    Even though I found no update to VSS related files, there are far too many system files updated because of security reasons (e.g. permissions escalation).

Does anybody have any other clue?

Thanks

filippo

• Edited by PhilHippo Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:28 PM
  • the only other thoughts I have;

- it could be broken, because it was never intended to function, and it has only worked ok until now as a happy accident

- it's extremely unlikely that MSFT would have ever tested for the use of WinXp NTBackup on Win7, so unlikely to get formal support for the scenario

- there may be others with related experience, you may find in the dedicated storage/backup forums like https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverfiles or https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=windowsbackup or perhaps on other discussion forums (non-MSFT forums) ?

Don

• Marked as answer by PhilHippo Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:02 PM
  • Hallo Don, hallo Everybody,
    I do not have other thoughts either and I am afraid you are right in all your remarks.

Thank you again for your patience and support: I really appreciated it.

As a last effort I will try to uninstall and reinstall VC++ 2010 and I will get back with the results, but after that I am through myself.

Again, thank you Don, MeipoXu, Robear, SaabDiver for your support

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:50 PM
  • They made it not work for you and do not care. Microsoft at its best!
    Sunday, June 11, 2017 9:09 PM