none
DPM Clients local cache question RRS feed

• Question

• For a system running windows 7 with the dpm client installed.

If the user is travelling and not able to connect to the network the dpm server is on, how long will the client agent continue to perform local caches?

Could I expect it to continue doing this and for them to have a similar amount of snapshots as are configured in the policy?  (or max of 64 per vss limits?)

Also is it possible to modify the alerts message the user gets with a custom message?  (or would this be something I'd need to script on my own?)

thanks in advance..

John

Friday, December 9, 2011 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When clients are disconneced from the network, local shadow copies continue to be made.  The number of snapshots kept locally depends on the size of the local disk and the amount of data churn.  You can use vssadmin list shadowstorage to see how much space is reserved for shadow copies and vssadmin list shadows to list all shadow copies. 

As per: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyId=243b1535-8e21-4691-907d-4181cc9288a9&displayLang=en

If any Windows client fails to synchronize to the DPM server during the defined window, then the local DPM client UI notifies the user while the DPM administrator gets an email to encourage the user to connect to the corporate network (or VPN or Direct Access) and be backed up to DPM server.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:51 AM