none
SSRS Exception while executing an MDX Query RRS feed

• Question

• SQL Server 2005, Standard Edition.  Reporting Services querying Analysis services on the same host, same instance.

SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: An error has occurred during report processing.
    ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RSException: An error has occurred during report processing.
    ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ProcessingAbortedException: An error has occurred during report processing.
    ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Query execution failed for data set 'Xxxxxxxxxxx'.
    ---> Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdErrorResponseException:
    Server: The operation has been cancelled.
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdDataReader..ctor(XmlReader xmlReader,CommandBehavior commandBehavior, AdomdConnection connection)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)

... lots more stack trace clipped off.  The ultimate source of the callstack was a call to the Render method of the SSRS ReportExecutionService SOAP endpoint.

The part that puzzles me here, and maybe this is a better question for the SSAS forum (I'll go there next if no one here knows).  What would cause an MDX query issued from Reporting Services to be cancelled?  I've long believed that these errors were due to a query that's known to be long running exceeding it's time limit, but I don't see anything in this callstack that looks like a time out.  Further, when I deliberately set the timeout from SSRS to a very short time, I get a different error which does indicate a timeout quite clearly.

So, what's causing this query to be cancelled - is there another level of timeout that I don't know about perhaps?

-cd [VC++ MVP] Mark the best replies as answers!
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:17 PM

Answers