none
How To View a SVG and SVGZ File in IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an svg and svgz file. I cannot open them in IE 11. I can open them in Inkscape. Can I view them in IE? If so please tell me simply step by step how I can view them in IE11. I am a newcomer to IE and am not familiar with it as I don't use it as my default browser. I do have the svg associated with Internet Explorer.  Thanks, Bob.
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you get any error if you double click the .svg file to open it after you have associated it with IE?

Please run CMD as administrator, and type following command to export the file association results:

Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\FileAssociations.xml 

Post back here and let me check.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 26, 2015 8:38 AM

All replies

• I have an svg and svgz file. I cannot open them in IE 11.

It looks like you should be able to open .svg but not .svgz.  Are you sure that you are testing the .svg case?  In IE Desktop you can use the Developer Tools, Network capture tool to check.  F12, Ctrl-4, etc.

C:\Windows>assoc .svg
    .svg=svgfile

C:\Windows>ftype svgfile
    svgfile="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %1

C:\Windows>assoc .svgz
    File association not found for extension .svgz

Strangely BING did not have any example files but Google found some

http://www.cutoutfoldup.com/patterns/0202a.svg

(Google search for
        filetype:svg
    )

That opens fine in IE11 (on W8.1.2) for me.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:23 PM
    Answerer
  • I have an svg and svgz file. I cannot open them in IE 11.

It looks like you should be able to open .svg but not .svgz.  Are you sure that you are testing the .svg case?  In IE Desktop you can use the Developer Tools, Network capture tool to check.  F12, Ctrl-4, etc.

C:\Windows>assoc .svg
    .svg=svgfile

C:\Windows>ftype svgfile
    svgfile="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %1

C:\Windows>assoc .svgz
    File association not found for extension .svgz

Strangely BING did not have any example files but Google found some

http://www.cutoutfoldup.com/patterns/0202a.svg

(Google search for
        filetype:svg
    )

That opens fine in IE11 (on W8.1.2) for me.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---Thanks Robert. I appreciate your answer but I am no IE expert. I have svg associated with Internet Explorer already. Do I execute those commands in the space at the bottom of the  All Programs? I don't understand the Developer Tools, Network capture tool to check.  F12, Ctrl-4, etc.

Please forgive my IE ignorance as I don't use it as my browser.

I can view svg's in Inkscape OK.

Thanks, Bob.

Thanks, Bob.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

Did you get any error if you double click the .svg file to open it after you have associated it with IE?

Please run CMD as administrator, and type following command to export the file association results:

Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\FileAssociations.xml 

Post back here and let me check.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 26, 2015 8:38 AM