Backup Exchange Server 2007 Before Decommission RRS feed

• Question

• Dears, 

I have a question please answer.   :) 
    iI have finished from migration exchange 2007 to Office 365
    new we need to Decommission the server, but after the Decommission i need to backup the exchange server,
    would you please recommend the best soultion to backup the exchange server!!!
    may I create an image for the server ?
    or
    Backup it by Backup Exec?

ot what you recommend?

Sunday, July 9, 2017 10:03 AM

Answers

• Dears, 

new we need to Decommission the server, but after the Decommission i need to backup the exchange server,
    or

ot what you recommend?

Why the need to do this? If you have BackupExec, use that but keep in mind if you need to do a restore, you would have to restore to a 2007 server or use 3rd party software to extract the data. 
    Monday, July 10, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Agree with Andy and if you just want a copy of the databases dont use backup, instead

1. Dismount the databases which will commit all logs and make them consistent

2. Copy/Move the databases (just the EDB files) to an alternate location

3. Back up the databases using whatever program you use normally

4. Done.  Now if you ever need to access the databases you can simply restore them as files vs having to worry about restoring the same configured exchange server and then you can use a 3rd party product to access the EDBs

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This forum is for general questions and feedback related to Microsoft Office desktop applications. Since your question is more related to Exchange, I'll move it to a more appropriate forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvrdeploylegacy

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 10, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Dears, 

or

ot what you recommend?

Why the need to do this? If you have BackupExec, use that but keep in mind if you need to do a restore, you would have to restore to a 2007 server or use 3rd party software to extract the data. 
    Monday, July 10, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Agree with Andy and if you just want a copy of the databases dont use backup, instead

1. Dismount the databases which will commit all logs and make them consistent

2. Copy/Move the databases (just the EDB files) to an alternate location

3. Back up the databases using whatever program you use normally

4. Done.  Now if you ever need to access the databases you can simply restore them as files vs having to worry about restoring the same configured exchange server and then you can use a 3rd party product to access the EDBs

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:27 PM