Server 2012 DNS / Internet issues RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to Server 2019 (fresh install) but wasn't please with the Network Policy Server issue. So I decided to revert back to Server 2012 also as a fresh Re-install as I replaced the physical server (needed to start fresh)

Although the issue was on Server 2019 aswell. 

I reconfigured Active Directory Domain Services along with DHCP and DNS. 

DHCP and all are working. But when it comes to internet it is barely working at all. 

I have the correct DNS settings and all. Thats fine. 

I can search all over google and run into no issues. 

But I cant get onto any other website otherwise I get "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" "ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED" n more errors. 

Sometimes on a "hit and miss basis" you might get a page to load. Oddly Google works fine every time 

Side note: if you set the External DNS statically on any device on the network. Everything works normally.

Also Guest Network / Other VLAN Networks are fine.

I had to use my phone to post in this forum as I couldn't access it otherwise. 

Side note: DNS is set under the "Domain" and right clicking > Properties>Farwarders and the IP is correct/valid.

I dont know what is wrong in my configuration and last I remembered years ago, I had it setup that way and it was fine. 

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Based on my understanding, you cannot open any URL with IE or Edge but can open with Google Chrome. Is that right? Please feel free to let me know if my understanding is wrong.

Would you please post the result of running ipconfig/all at the command prompt on the computer to let us know the machine’s configuration?

In addition, please turn on exhaustive debugging mode of NSlookup, this will display detailed information of name resolving process.

Open Command Prompt on client ,type nslookup and type set d2 .Then type google.com ,we could find out the problem through the process .

>NSlookup
    >set d2
    >[name which you want to resolve]

Note: since this is a public forum, everyone could view your information, please remove private information that might leak your privacy.

This "Windows Server 2012 Essentials " Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best Regards,

Candy

"Windows Server 2012 Essentials" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows Server 2012 Essentials"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:57 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, July 24, 2020 2:04 AM