none
Can't Remove Password on Windows 7 Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to remove my password on my pc but it is not allowing me to do so.  I keep on getting a message saying "Windows cannot remove the password. Password and/or account policies require the account to have a password."  I do not know what to do to remove it.  Can someone help please.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How did you remove the password in Windows 7? Could you provide the detailed steps for us?

Please try to go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts, click Manager User Accounts; in the users list, select the particular user which you want to remove password, and try to reset the password with a blank password to check if it can work.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you remove the password in Windows 7? Could you provide the detailed steps for us?

Please try to go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts, click Manager User Accounts; in the users list, select the particular user which you want to remove password, and try to reset the password with a blank password to check if it can work.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:41 AM
  • ok, i have been trying to find a solution to this problem for my own computer for quite some time. The thing is, that windows home premium was built so that it requires a password to log in, but I just stumbled upon a way to remove the password without doing any stupid registry tweaks, or downloading some 3rd party software. Its a rather long process, so stick with me. Here's the steps.
    I would strongly suggest printing these instructions for easy reference. (you will log out at one point).  Sorry no screenshots, i was feeling lazy

1. click the start menu, and type 'netplwiz' into the search box, and press enter. This will pull up a window that shows your main administrative account, and possibly one other account in the group "performance monitor users" (Ignore this one)

2. leave the box that says "users must enter a username and password to use this computer" checked. It doesn't actually do anything, (at least not in my case.)

3. Click the add button to create a secondary account (call it admin2 or something).  When you hit next, it will prompt you to create a password, just hit next, it will then display a screen where you can choose what group this account should be in. Click administrator, and then click finish. You should now see both your primary and secondary administrator accounts in the account list.

4. I know what you are thinking, but no, you don't have to transfer all your files to the new account. just bear with me.

5.  Now hit on the user accounts screen to save your changes.  You will now need to log out of your primary account, and log into your secondary or “admin2” account.  You will notice that the login does not prompt for a password, it just starts logging in when you click it.  Since this is a first time login for this user account, it may take a minute or two to configure the desktop.

6.  Once you are logged into the secondary admin account, select the start menu, and again, type ‘netplwiz’ into the search box
    and hit enter.

7.  Now you can select the primary admin account, and click the “reset password” button at the bottom of the user account
    window.  This will pop up a smaller window that has a “new password” box, and a “confirm new password” box.  Leave both blank and hit ok.  Now your primary account password is blank.  Now click ok again to save your changes. 

8.  Log out of the secondary account, and back into the primary one.  (you should not be prompted to enter a password)  Just click
    it and it should log in. 

9.  Final step I promise.  Repeat step 6 to open the user accounts window again.  Select the secondary account, and click remove.  Now click ok to save the changes, and ………………

CONGRATULATIONS. 

YOU NOW DON’T HAVE TO ENTER A PESKY
    PASSWORD TO LOG INTO YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTER

• Proposed as answer by LilBro Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:40 PM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:33 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!! No one else on these forums had this simple but hidden answer. Even searching the Win7 Help & Support section made absolutely NO mention of it.

Für Elise - Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Sorry....this did not work for me.....  when I did step 7 and the new password pop up box came on and I clicked ok, that retched noise comes on along with another pop up saying my new password IS TOO SHORT!!!  and would not allow me to continue on.......

Someone else find  A CURE for this yet?

Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:26 PM
  • In order to be able to remove the password from my administrator account, I had to uninstall HP Client Security because it puts administrative policies in place that require a password at every logon. 

To uninstall HP Client Security, you will need to disable your DVD Drive (go to Device Manager, then disable the drive under DVD/CD-ROM drives), uninstall HP Drive Encryption, then you can uninstall HP Client Security.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:44 PM