Import list of mailboxes and export if they are enabled RRS feed

• Question

• We are moving to office 365 and unfortunately a lot of shared mailboxes were created as user mailboxes.

To migrate to office 365 we need to make them shared mailboxes so that we don't have to pay for license. We will have to disable the AD account to do this and yet we don't want to disable user mailboxes that are being used/logged into.

I need a script that will import the list of mailboxes we believe to be shared and find out which ones have enabled AD accounts. Using the following and the output is not what I expected. Any ideas? Thanks

$list = import-csv -path "C:\scripts\sharedmailboxes2.csv"

ForEach ($user in $list) {

Get-Mailbox -resultsize unlimited | where { $_.ExchangeUserAccountControl -match 'Accountenabled'}} | Select DisplayName,Alias | export-csv c:\scripts\enabledsharedmbs2.csv

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 12:26 AM

Answers

• Okay, I see what you're doing.  For each user in the list, you are getting the entire set of mailboxes in the organization.  You probably want something more like this.  I don't know what the CSV format is so you might need to tweak it to match the field names.

$DisabledMailboxes = @()
      $Mailbox = Get-Mailbox $user.DisplayName
      If ($Mailbox.ExchangeUserAccountControl -match 'Accountenabled') {
        $DisabledMailboxes += $Mailbox
      }
    }
    $DisabledMailboxes | Select DisplayName,Alias | export-csv c:\scripts\enabledsharedmbs2.csv

All of this wouldn't be necessary if you made these mailboxes shared mailboxes before establishing directory synchronization.  If you do that, they'll become shared mailboxes in Exchange Online when you move them.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:08 PM

All replies

• That's not all you should do.  You should also change the msExchRemoteRecipientType to 100, which means remote shared mailbox.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:22 AM
  • Hi , 

Agree with Ed, when an on-prem mailbox moves to the cloud the msExchRemoteRecipient type attribute need to be changed:

For more detailed information please refer to the following blog and article:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dkegg/2014/08/27/ad-attributes-that-are-changed-when-a-mailbox-moves-to-office-365/

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/office-365/exchange-online/match-office-365-mailbox-new-premises-user-hybrid-deployment.html

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 7:19 AM
  • I agree with you both. I am asking for help on the script. Trying to get a list of mailboxes that are are actually shared to inform them that the ad account will be disabled.

So I need this script that is not working to go out and identify from the list I pump in via CSV to find out which shared mailboxes are enabled.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Okay, so what is the output you are getting and how is it not what you expected?  Also, what version, service pack, rollup hotfix and/or cumulative update of Exchange are you inquiring about?

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Exchange 2010 SP3 

the csv output is just repeating, in stead of updating for each user in the list

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Sorry, but I can't help you if you insist on providing vague answers.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Please don't give up. First time asking for help. Here are the results of the csv. The output keeps repeating:

#TYPE Selected.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Management.Mailbox

DisplayName

Alias

Database

Account, ISOrgChart

ISOrgChart

CorpDB13-App

Netcool_Alerts

netcool_alerts

CorpDB13-App

LegalDiscovery

LegalDiscovery

CorpDB07

SMEX-SAD-Discovery

SMEX-SAD-Discovery

CorpDB14

CRW_CRAWFORD_GROUP.VP.Shared

EuDB17

Account, ISOrgChart

ISOrgChart

CorpDB13-App

Netcool_Alerts

netcool_alerts

CorpDB13-App

LegalDiscovery

LegalDiscovery

CorpDB07

SMEX-SAD-Discovery

SMEX-SAD-Discovery

CorpDB14

EuDB17

Account, ISOrgChart

ISOrgChart

CorpDB13-App

Netcool_Alerts

netcool_alerts

CorpDB13-App

LegalDiscovery

LegalDiscovery

CorpDB07

SMEX-SAD-Discovery

SMEX-SAD-Discovery

CorpDB14

EuDB17

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Okay, I see what you're doing.  For each user in the list, you are getting the entire set of mailboxes in the organization.  You probably want something more like this.  I don't know what the CSV format is so you might need to tweak it to match the field names.

$DisabledMailboxes = @()
      $Mailbox = Get-Mailbox $user.DisplayName
      If ($Mailbox.ExchangeUserAccountControl -match 'Accountenabled') {
        $DisabledMailboxes += $Mailbox
      }
    }
    $DisabledMailboxes | Select DisplayName,Alias | export-csv c:\scripts\enabledsharedmbs2.csv

All of this wouldn't be necessary if you made these mailboxes shared mailboxes before establishing directory synchronization.  If you do that, they'll become shared mailboxes in Exchange Online when you move them.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:08 PM