none
Managing priorities RRS feed

• Question

• A need to create a project where resources (people) are assigned tasks at standard and high priority.

Let's say, Task1 takes 10 days and is assigned to John.

John starts performing Task1 but after 2 days he must switch to Task2 that takes 3 days but have an higher priority.

John  can go back to Task1 only after completing Task2.

So John works 2 days on Task1, 3 days on Task2 and 8 days on Task1.

How can I enter Task1 and Task2 in order to specify that Task2 can interrupt Task1 and that Task1 can take (elapsed time) 10+3 days?

In the real world it's not an unusual scenario, but how can I represent it in Project?

Regards

Mario

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:04 PM

All replies

• We assume that tasks 1 and 2 do not have other tasks as predecessors and are not predecessor/successor to each other, then they are both scheduled to start asap on the same day/time.

I would split task 1 into two tasks, stage 1 is 2 days and stage 2 is 8 days, linked as FS0 predecessor/successor.

Assign John to all three tasks. He will be over-allocated.

Priority is a field that can be found in task information and is used to fine tune the result of resource levelling.

Assign a high priority to task 1 stage 1, say 1000. Assign the next priority, say 900, to task 2, and the next highest priority, say 800, to task 1 stage 2.

Then resource tab, levelling options, accept the defaults manual levelling, day-by-day

Change levelling order to "priority, standard", uncheck all of the option check boxes and level all.

That should do it.

Any help?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 1:36 AM