none
Tips for Printing MS Project Schedules RRS feed

• Question

• I'm finding it difficult to understand how Page Setup works with respect to printing Gantt chart views of MSP 2010.  

When I use the "Fit to:" feature and tell Project to print a simple 24 line schedule as 1 page wide by 1 page tall, the software just seems to ignore me.  It always seems to set it up as 2 pages, with only 3 activity lines on the second page.

To get around this, I select the "Adjust to:" feature and scale down to 90% or so, which results in a single page printout.

Is there something I'm not doing right in using the "Fit to:" feature in Page Setup or is this just a bug in the software?

Thanks,

Bill

Monday, June 18, 2018 1:26 PM

All replies

• Bill,

First, is Project 2010 fully updated? Project 2010 is no longer actively updated but the last update should show version 14.0.9197.5000. If you don't show that version, run Windows Update.

Ever since the new ribbon format of Project was first introduced in Project 2010 my experience is that getting the print to do what you want is, let's say, more challenging. Sometimes when you first try to set it up, the changes don't seem to "take". I find that if you set it up, then leave the print preview page and return, it seems to work better. That's exactly what I had to do to run a quick test of a simple 24 line schedule using "Fit to 1 wide by 1 tall".

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, June 18, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Thanks for the tip John. 

I found that I only have version 14.0.7015.1000.  Perhaps if I can get our IT group to update me, things will be easier.

Monday, June 18, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Bill,

I think you may be looking at a version number other than that of Project. For Project 2010 there was no 14.0.7015.1000. This is what you should see

The first number is the Project version and the second number is the Office version.

John

Monday, June 18, 2018 5:59 PM
  • In Control Panel, under Programs and Features, there is an entry for Microsoft Project Professional 2010 with the version I referenced earlier.  Perhaps because it is an enterprise license the versioning numbers are different.  

Also, I can't find a place anywhere withing the MS Project window, tabs, File menus, etc. where I can access About Microsoft Project.  If you can tell me how you brought up that screen clip, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill

Monday, June 18, 2018 8:05 PM
  • Bill,

First, it's not a bug. You, and MSP, are trying to squeeze something that is too big onto a piece of paper that is too small. MSP tries as hard as it can to scale it to fit, and comes up with the best that is possible.

Before going to file, print, adjust the scale of the Gantt chart with the zoom control in the screen.

I have a PDF writer, PDF995. You probably have one too. It is a sort of "virtual printer". Make that your default printer. This will have all of the larger paper sizes. Try a print preview on a sheet size larger than you need, and then work down to one that is a good fit. So if the print won't work on A4, try going up to A3, A2 etc. Or start at A0 and work your way down. When you get a good PDF, print to that file, then print the PDF on your real printer.

Also, check all of the options in all of the tabs in page setup, especially the last one, "view".

Monday, June 18, 2018 9:21 PM
  • Bill,

Looking at the list of installed programs in the Control Panel does not give the current Project version number and it doesn't matter if you are using a desktop version of Project or Project Server, the version number should be the same. If I recall correctly the version in the Control Panel list simply shows that last Service Pack which for Project 2010 is SP2.

Go to File > Help. Click on the "Additional version and copyright information" in the middle on the right side of the screen. That will bring up the About Microsoft Project window as I showed in my screen shot.

John

Monday, June 18, 2018 10:06 PM