Disabling Navigation Pane in Explorer WIndows 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway at all even through a reghack to disable the navigation pane in Windows 2008 Explorer and remove the layout menu option as well. This is quite an open "hole" in 2008 Terminal Server for those who need to lock it down in a secure manner. I dont want users to be able to browse My Computer or Network

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hello Simon,

Thanks for your feedback.

There are 4 main options under Layout menu: Details, Preview, Library and Navigation.

The first two are easy to hide by group policy setting: User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Explorer \ Explorer Frame Pane \ Turn off Detail Pane and Turn off Preview Pane.

Regarding the last two options, you need to modify the registry to hide them. We don’t recommend you to modify the registry because unstable factors will be brought into your system and new updates may overwrite the modifications. Generally, we recommend the group policy methods, for example Software Restriction Policies to enhance the security.

If you really want to modify the registry, please make the backup before any actions. The main sub-keys that display the options are under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\

You can select each name space key to find the corresponding data in the right panel, for example, {F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C} is for Network navigations.

I cannot guarantee that all the options you want to hide can be done by the key above, if you need further assistance on group policy side, please find more assistance in our forum focusing on GP:

Group Policy

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hello Simon,

Thanks for your feedback.

There are 4 main options under Layout menu: Details, Preview, Library and Navigation.

The first two are easy to hide by group policy setting: User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Explorer \ Explorer Frame Pane \ Turn off Detail Pane and Turn off Preview Pane.

Regarding the last two options, you need to modify the registry to hide them. We don’t recommend you to modify the registry because unstable factors will be brought into your system and new updates may overwrite the modifications. Generally, we recommend the group policy methods, for example Software Restriction Policies to enhance the security.

If you really want to modify the registry, please make the backup before any actions. The main sub-keys that display the options are under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\

You can select each name space key to find the corresponding data in the right panel, for example, {F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C} is for Network navigations.

I cannot guarantee that all the options you want to hide can be done by the key above, if you need further assistance on group policy side, please find more assistance in our forum focusing on GP:

Group Policy

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:46 AM
  • Is there anyway at all even through a reghack to disable the navigation pane in Windows 2008 Explorer and remove the layout menu option as well. This is quite an open "hole" in 2008 Terminal Server for those who need to lock it down in a secure manner. I dont want users to be able to browse My Computer or Network

Hello Simon

I too have been searching for ways to lockdown Win2008ServerR2 when used for RDS.
    You might think that MS would have a simple 'How-To' by now; but I think they are way behind on this one.I have tried many suggestions from various forums but most have come up short.
    However, this user

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/andif/?type=forum&referrer=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverGP/thread/15b76a75-2abd-4bf9-b8e1-31125b1695d2

has provided a free app that helps on many fronts.
    "Download the free tool at the end of the article:

http://www.s-inn.de/blog/post/remove-Libraries-Favorites-in-windows-explorer-navigation-pane.aspx"

The app can nicely hide Network icon, Favorites, & Libraries from navigation pane and open/save dialog. However, as the user points out, this app does not work on a 'per-user' basis (it's all or none). I am not experienced enough to discover what registry changes the app produces; but I would sure like to know.

Additonally, it would be very nice to just hide some Library folders (e.g Public Documents, Public Music, Public Video etc) rather all library folders. I am hoping that someone might suggest how-to make that extension to these registry changes.

good luck
    rick

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:23 AM
  • From my self experiments I discovered below keys that control the Navigation Pane Per User in Open and Save As Dialog boxes on Windows server 2008 and Windows 7.

To Disable Navigation Pane:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDOpen\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]

"PageSpaceControlSizer"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDSave\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]

"PageSpaceControlSizer"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]

"PageSpaceControlSizer"=hex:d0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

To Enable Navigation Pane:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDOpen\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]

"PageSpaceControlSizer"=hex:d0,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDSave\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]

More Details: Registry Tweak to Hide/Remove/Disable Navigation Pane in Windows Explorer, File Open, File Save As Common Dialog Boxes of Windows server 2008 and Windows 7

You are the Knowledge You have…
    MyWordPress; MyBlogSpot; MyMicrosoft; MyCitrix;
    MyVMWare; MySymantec; MyLinkedIn; MyFaceBook; MyGReader;

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:58 AM